Woman Charged after Emaciated Dog Found in Willow Springs
Posted on March 4th, 2020
A 48-year-old woman has been charged in connection with the abuse and abandonment of a dog found in Willow Springs, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
On Feb. 17 an emaciated and severely dehydrated male pit bull mix was found in a garbage bag on the side of the road in Willow Springs. The dog was initially taken to Countryside Veterinary Center in Countryside and later transported to the South Suburban Humane Society in Chicago Heights, where the staff there named him Vinny.
Sheriff’s Police launched an investigation on Feb. 19 at the request of Cook County Animal and Rabies Control. During their investigation, officers learned that the dog was last in the possession of Janiel Mixon, of Justice.
Mixon was arrested on Feb. 28 and subsequently charged with cruel treatment of an animal and violating the owner’s duties statute, both misdemeanors. She was released on her own recognizance and is scheduled to appear for an initial hearing on April 27 at the Bridgeview Courthouse.
Vinny is currently recovering at South Suburban Humane Society.
The public is reminded that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAt a time when jails and prison across the nation are still dealing with massive outbreaks of [Read More]
- 22 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersOfficers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issuedcitations to 22 men and [Read More]
- Four Juveniles Arrested on Warrants for Offenses Related to CarjackingThis week Cook County Sheriff’s Police located and arrested four juveniles on warrants related to [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]