Sheriff Wandering Response Program
Please call 911 immediately in case of an emergency.
Autistic individuals, people with developmental disabilities and seniors with dementia are likely to wander from their homes and other safe spaces, putting them at risk of death or injury.
The Cook County Sheriff Office’s WATR program, which stands for Wandering Aversion, Training, and Response, is intended to train family members, caregivers and social service providers on ways to limit the risk of wandering. The WATR Program serves these vulnerable individuals by:
- Supporting families, caregivers, and social service providers of individuals that wander with resources and information that can aid in the search for and safe return of those individuals.
- Promoting awareness of the dangers of wandering and the need for community involvement to bring about the safe return of these individuals when wandering incidents occur.
One important way the WATR Program is doing this is by providing scent kits that help canines track scents in emergency situations. These kits allow an individual’s scent to be stored for years without contamination by other environmental factors, helping first responders search for a missing individual.
If you are interested in receiving a scent kit for a loved one or for your organization, please fill out the Scent Kit Request Form. We will contact you to coordinate pickup.
If you would like more information about the WATR Program’s services and training opportunities, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or dial (847) 635-1188 and ask for resources on wandering.
Recent Press Releases
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]
- Cook County Sheriff’s Police Administer Naloxone to Save a Chicago ManThe quick and compassionate work of Cook County Sheriff’s Police reversed a deadly overdose in [Read More]
- Missing Teen Recovered by Cook County Sheriff’s Police, Man Charged with TraffickingA 37-year-old man faces felony charges after he allegedly sex trafficked a missing 14-year-old [Read More]
- Michigan Woman Charged With 2003 Murder of Her Newborn Twin SonsAn extensive Sheriff’s Police cold case investigation has led to murder charges against a Michigan [Read More]