Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County Jail
Posted on February 26th, 2021
At a time when jails and prison across the nation are still dealing with massive outbreaks of COVID-19, the Cook County Department of Corrections (CCDOC), with a population of over 5,400 detainees, had a total of 13 detainees positive for COVID-19 this morning.
Three of those 13 tested positive on intake. CCDOC currently has a 0.3 % seven-day rolling average positivity rate. Widespread testing has continued, with over 1,000 tests administered each week. Since March 2020, nearly 60,000 tests have been given to detainees by our partners at Cermak
Encouragingly, the number of staff members positive for COVID-19 also continues to decline, with only 22 positive cases currently.
“By continuing to follow science and the protocols we put into place last year, we have once again flattened the curve”, said Sheriff Thomas J. Dart.
In a study published in the British Medical Journal earlier this month, researchers from Yale and Stanford universities concluded that the interventions the Sheriff’s Office enacted in the first 83 days after the first positive case was identified at the jail prevented an additional 30 deaths, 435 hospitalizations, and 3,100 cases of the virus.
Cook County Jail has previously been identified by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as a model for jails and prisons, after researchers found the measures put into practice dramatically decreased the number of cases even as they continued to spike in the surrounding
The Sheriff’s Office will continue to look for new ways to prevent outbreaks of the virus despite the extremely low number of people currently positive for COVID at the jail, and staff are currently working on strategies to be able to test for new variants of the virus.
“COVID-19 is not an easy foe to defeat, and we must remain vigilant in our efforts to stop the spread of disease,” Dart said.
Recent Press Releases
- Manager Charged In Connection With Ongoing Criminal Investigation of Sexual Harassment at Edward Hines, Jr. VA HospitalCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police detectives are conducting an ongoing investigation [Read More]
- In-Person Visitation to Resume Sunday, March 14, at Cook County JailCOOK COUNTY, IL – In-person visitation at the Cook County Jail is scheduled to resume on Sunday, [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution Following Sheriff’s Police StingCOOK COUNTY, IL – A Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution after Cook County [Read More]
- La Grange Park Man Charged with Aggravated Vehicular HijackingCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police arrested a 20-year-old La Grange Park man after he [Read More]
- 22 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersOfficers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issuedcitations to 22 men and [Read More]