Posted on January 17th, 2017
A NOTE ON UNJUST INCARCERATION
Our nation’s jails hold more than 731,000 people on any given day. More than 7,500 are right here in Cook County Jail – the largest single-site jail in the United States.
With over five million people, Cook County is the America’s second most populous county. Everything we do – both correctly and incorrectly – serves as an example for the rest of the nation. Unfortunately, for far too long we have been demonstrating many of the things that are wrong with the criminal justice system.
Far too often, jailing the poor and mentally ill is the first option, instead of finding thoughtful solutions that don’t take people away from their family, jobs and livelihood.
Below you will find initiatives and information related to my fight for a more thoughtful approach to criminal justice. Please consider joining us in this fight.
Sheriff Thomas J. Dart
Initiatives and Information
- The Hardship Project
- Warrants Report
- Bail Reform
- Sheriff Dart talks Unjust Incarceration on CBS’ 60 Minutes
- Rocket Docket
Recent Press Releases
- Pair Charged with Attempt Murder in Unincorporated Oak Forest ShootingHa Zell Williams Dashaun Colbert Two 18-year-old men have been charged with attempt murder in [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Criminal Sexual Assault ChargesShannon Griffin A teacher at a Burbank private school has been charged with Criminal Sexual [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Conducting Traffic Safety Checkpoint in Leyden TownshipCook County Sheriff’s Police will conduct a roadside safety checkpoint in Leyden Township on the [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with UUW after Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic Weapons Delivered to ResidenceJaveon Burton Allen A 22-year-old Chicago man has been charged after a package containing switches [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]