Posted on January 17th, 2017
A NOTE ON UNJUST INCARCERATION
Our nation’s jails hold more than 731,000 people on any given day. More than 7,500 are right here in Cook County Jail – the largest single-site jail in the United States.
With over five million people, Cook County is the America’s second most populous county. Everything we do – both correctly and incorrectly – serves as an example for the rest of the nation. Unfortunately, for far too long we have been demonstrating many of the things that are wrong with the criminal justice system.
Far too often, jailing the poor and mentally ill is the first option, instead of finding thoughtful solutions that don’t take people away from their family, jobs and livelihood.
Below you will find initiatives and information related to my fight for a more thoughtful approach to criminal justice. Please consider joining us in this fight.
Sheriff Thomas J. Dart
Initiatives and Information
- The Hardship Project
- Warrants Report
- Bail Reform
- Sheriff Dart talks Unjust Incarceration on CBS’ 60 Minutes
- Rocket Docket
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Warns of Phone Scam Involving Apple Inc.Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning of a sophisticated phone scam targeting Cook County [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Proposes Reforms to Close Deadly Gun Regulation LoopholesTo ensure the public is better protected from those who lose their right to carry deadly weapons, [Read More]
- Man Charged with UUW after Firearms, Ammunition Found in ApartmentA Leyden Township man has been charged with multiple felonies after firearms, ammunition and [Read More]
- Pair Charged with UUW after Firearms, Ammunition FoundTwo men have been charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon after firearms and ammunition [Read More]
- Awareness Resource Created for Front Lines of Opioid CrisisCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart released new episodes today of the podcast “Breaking Free” [Read More]