Posted on January 17th, 2017
A NOTE ON UNJUST INCARCERATION
Our nation’s jails hold more than 731,000 people on any given day. More than 7,500 are right here in Cook County Jail – the largest single-site jail in the United States.
With over five million people, Cook County is the America’s second most populous county. Everything we do – both correctly and incorrectly – serves as an example for the rest of the nation. Unfortunately, for far too long we have been demonstrating many of the things that are wrong with the criminal justice system.
Far too often, jailing the poor and mentally ill is the first option, instead of finding thoughtful solutions that don’t take people away from their family, jobs and livelihood.
Below you will find initiatives and information related to my fight for a more thoughtful approach to criminal justice. Please consider joining us in this fight.
Sheriff Thomas J. Dart
Initiatives and Information
- The Hardship Project
- Warrants Report
- Bail Reform
- Sheriff Dart talks Unjust Incarceration on CBS’ 60 Minutes
- Rocket Docket
Recent Press Releases
- Electronically Monitored Defendant Jumps from Balcony, FleesThe Cook County Sheriff’s Office is seeking the public’s help in locating a 23-year-old man who was [Read More]
- Detainee Charged in Attack on Cook County Jail StaffA detainee has been charged after a Sheriff’s Office investigation found he attacked a Cook County [Read More]
- Sheriff Launches Program to Address Opioid CrisisCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today the launch of the Sheriff’s Opioid Addiction [Read More]
- Ford Heights Man Charged after Child Accidently Shoots another ChildA gun owner has been charged after a 5-year-old boy was accidently shot by another child this week [Read More]
- Man Charged with Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA Chicago man has been charged after a Sheriff’s Police investigation found he had sexually abused [Read More]