Posted on January 17th, 2017
A NOTE ON UNJUST INCARCERATION
Our nation’s jails hold more than 731,000 people on any given day. More than 7,500 are right here in Cook County Jail – the largest single-site jail in the United States.
With over five million people, Cook County is the America’s second most populous county. Everything we do – both correctly and incorrectly – serves as an example for the rest of the nation. Unfortunately, for far too long we have been demonstrating many of the things that are wrong with the criminal justice system.
Far too often, jailing the poor and mentally ill is the first option, instead of finding thoughtful solutions that don’t take people away from their family, jobs and livelihood.
Below you will find initiatives and information related to my fight for a more thoughtful approach to criminal justice. Please consider joining us in this fight.
Sheriff Thomas J. Dart
Initiatives and Information
- The Hardship Project
- Warrants Report
- Bail Reform
- Sheriff Dart talks Unjust Incarceration on CBS’ 60 Minutes
- Rocket Docket
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff’s Office Partners with Loretto Hospital for Staff COVID TestingCOOK COUNTY, IL – As the city of Chicago continues to battle a second wave of COVID-19 cases, the [Read More]
- In-Person Visitation Temporarily Suspended at Cook County JailWith the number of COVID-19 cases in Chicago and Cook County on the rise, and in light of the [Read More]
- COVID-19 Rise in Community Leads to Case Increase in Cook County JailAs the Chicago area experiences a significant rise in COVID-19 cases, the Cook County Jail is also [Read More]
- Cook County Sheriff’s Office Launches Co-Responder Virtual Substance Abuse Assistance ProgramCOOK COUNTY, IL – With the COVID-19 pandemic presenting new challenges, Cook County Sheriff Thomas [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Criminal Sexual AbuseA 51-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]