Posted on January 17th, 2017
A NOTE ON UNJUST INCARCERATION
Our nation’s jails hold more than 731,000 people on any given day. More than 7,500 are right here in Cook County Jail – the largest single-site jail in the United States.
With over five million people, Cook County is the America’s second most populous county. Everything we do – both correctly and incorrectly – serves as an example for the rest of the nation. Unfortunately, for far too long we have been demonstrating many of the things that are wrong with the criminal justice system.
Far too often, jailing the poor and mentally ill is the first option, instead of finding thoughtful solutions that don’t take people away from their family, jobs and livelihood.
Below you will find initiatives and information related to my fight for a more thoughtful approach to criminal justice. Please consider joining us in this fight.
Sheriff Thomas J. Dart
Initiatives and Information
- The Hardship Project
- Warrants Report
- Bail Reform
- Sheriff Dart talks Unjust Incarceration on CBS’ 60 Minutes
- Rocket Docket
Recent Press Releases
- Two Charged in Ford Heights Armed RobberyTwo teens have been charged with armed robbery after a Cook County Sheriff’s Police investigation [Read More]
- Two Charged after Sheriff’s Police Recover Loaded FirearmsTwo teens have been charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon after Cook County Sheriff’s [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Launches Opioid Crisis Awareness PodcastCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart launched an opioid crisis awareness [Read More]
- Two Charged after Loaded Gun, Suspected Heroin Found During Court-Ordered EvictionTwo people have been charged with multiple felonies after a loaded firearm and [Read More]
- Electronically Monitored Defendant who Leapt to His Escape ApprehendedCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today that an electronically monitored defendant who [Read More]