Posted on January 17th, 2017
A NOTE ON UNJUST INCARCERATION
Our nation’s jails hold more than 731,000 people on any given day. More than 7,500 are right here in Cook County Jail – the largest single-site jail in the United States.
With over five million people, Cook County is the America’s second most populous county. Everything we do – both correctly and incorrectly – serves as an example for the rest of the nation. Unfortunately, for far too long we have been demonstrating many of the things that are wrong with the criminal justice system.
Far too often, jailing the poor and mentally ill is the first option, instead of finding thoughtful solutions that don’t take people away from their family, jobs and livelihood.
Below you will find initiatives and information related to my fight for a more thoughtful approach to criminal justice. Please consider joining us in this fight.
Sheriff Thomas J. Dart
Initiatives and Information
- The Hardship Project
- Warrants Report
- Bail Reform
- Sheriff Dart talks Unjust Incarceration on CBS’ 60 Minutes
- Rocket Docket
Recent Press Releases
- Cook County Jail Detainee Charged with Sexual Exploitation of a ChildA maximum security Cook County Jail detainee has been charged after an investigation found he [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Spreads Awareness of Opioid Crisis and NaloxoneCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart launched an email helpline today to connect people to [Read More]
- IDOC Parolee Charged with UUW after Sheriff’s Police Recover Stolen GunA man paroled less than two months ago following weapon and drug convictions has been charged with [Read More]
- Maximum Security Detainees Charged in Aggravated Battery to StaffThree maximum security Cook County Jail detainees are among more than two dozen individuals who [Read More]
- Detainee Charged with Threatening Assistant Public DefenderA Cook County Jail detainee has been charged with threatening his public defender, Sheriff Thomas [Read More]