Posted on January 17th, 2017
A NOTE ON UNJUST INCARCERATION
Our nation’s jails hold more than 731,000 people on any given day. More than 7,500 are right here in Cook County Jail – the largest single-site jail in the United States.
With over five million people, Cook County is the America’s second most populous county. Everything we do – both correctly and incorrectly – serves as an example for the rest of the nation. Unfortunately, for far too long we have been demonstrating many of the things that are wrong with the criminal justice system.
Far too often, jailing the poor and mentally ill is the first option, instead of finding thoughtful solutions that don’t take people away from their family, jobs and livelihood.
Below you will find initiatives and information related to my fight for a more thoughtful approach to criminal justice. Please consider joining us in this fight.
Sheriff Thomas J. Dart
Initiatives and Information
- The Hardship Project
- Warrants Report
- Bail Reform
- Sheriff Dart talks Unjust Incarceration on CBS’ 60 Minutes
- Rocket Docket
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Dart’s Child Rescue Unit Locates 1000th Youth in CareCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Police Child Rescue Unit (CRU) located its 1,000th [Read More]
- Cook County Jail Chess Team Places Second in International Chess TournamentCOOK COUNTY, IL – Seven individuals in custody at the Cook County Jail competed this morning in an [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Multiple Felonies for Explicit Texts, Possession of Child PornographyCOOK COUNTY, IL – A Chicago man who engaged in sexually explicit conversations and sent graphic [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Spotlights Public-Facing Community Resource CenterCOOK COUNTY, IL – With significant challenges facing Chicago area residents who struggle with [Read More]
- Chicago Woman Charged with First Degree Murder Following a March Shooting in Unincorporated Proviso TownshipCOOK COUNTY, IL –A Chicago woman who allegedly shot and killed a 28-year-old man in an incident [Read More]