Posted on January 17th, 2017
A NOTE ON UNJUST INCARCERATION
Our nation’s jails hold more than 731,000 people on any given day. More than 7,500 are right here in Cook County Jail – the largest single-site jail in the United States.
With over five million people, Cook County is the America’s second most populous county. Everything we do – both correctly and incorrectly – serves as an example for the rest of the nation. Unfortunately, for far too long we have been demonstrating many of the things that are wrong with the criminal justice system.
Far too often, jailing the poor and mentally ill is the first option, instead of finding thoughtful solutions that don’t take people away from their family, jobs and livelihood.
Below you will find initiatives and information related to my fight for a more thoughtful approach to criminal justice. Please consider joining us in this fight.
Sheriff Thomas J. Dart
Initiatives and Information
- The Hardship Project
- Warrants Report
- Bail Reform
- Sheriff Dart talks Unjust Incarceration on CBS’ 60 Minutes
- Rocket Docket
Recent Press Releases
- Cook County Sheriff’s Police Officer Saves Woman’s Life with NaloxoneA woman is alive after a Cook County Sheriff’s Police officer equipped with naloxone used the [Read More]
- Cook County Jail Detainee Sentenced to 15 Years for Solicitation of MurderA Cook County Jail inmate has been sentenced to 15 years for solicitation of murder in which he [Read More]
- Cook County Jail Detainee Indicted on Charge of Attempting to Bring Cannabis into a Penal InstitutionA Cook County Jail detainee has been indicted after a Sheriff’s Office investigation identified him [Read More]
- Eight Detainees Face Mob Action Charges Following Jail FightEight Cook County Jail detainees found to have been involved in a fight on a maximum security [Read More]
- Three Charged in Aggravated Criminal Sexual Assault of TeenagerThree men have been charged after a Cook County Sheriff’s Police investigation found they had [Read More]