Posted on January 17th, 2017
A NOTE ON UNJUST INCARCERATION
Our nation’s jails hold more than 731,000 people on any given day. More than 7,500 are right here in Cook County Jail – the largest single-site jail in the United States.
With over five million people, Cook County is the America’s second most populous county. Everything we do – both correctly and incorrectly – serves as an example for the rest of the nation. Unfortunately, for far too long we have been demonstrating many of the things that are wrong with the criminal justice system.
Far too often, jailing the poor and mentally ill is the first option, instead of finding thoughtful solutions that don’t take people away from their family, jobs and livelihood.
Below you will find initiatives and information related to my fight for a more thoughtful approach to criminal justice. Please consider joining us in this fight.
Sheriff Thomas J. Dart
Initiatives and Information
- The Hardship Project
- Warrants Report
- Bail Reform
- Sheriff Dart talks Unjust Incarceration on CBS’ 60 Minutes
- Rocket Docket
Recent Press Releases
- Cook County Sheriff Asks for Public’s Help in Adoption of Two Very Good DogsTwo dogs that recently completed the Sheriff’s Tails of Redemption program at the Cook County Jail, [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Seeks the Public’s Help Locating Missing Madden Mental Health Center PatientCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is asking for the public’s help locating a Madden Mental Health [Read More]
- Cook County Sheriff’s Police Seeking to Identify Individuals at the Scene of Robbins ShootingCook County Sheriff’s Police are seeking to identify individuals in these photographs as they may [Read More]
- Western Springs Man Charged with Disseminating Child PornographyA 72-year-old man has been charged after an investigation found that he sent explicit images of [Read More]
- Information Sought in Fatal Hit and RunCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is asking for the public’s help in identifying the driver of a [Read More]