Posted on January 17th, 2017
A NOTE ON UNJUST INCARCERATION
Our nation’s jails hold more than 731,000 people on any given day. More than 7,500 are right here in Cook County Jail – the largest single-site jail in the United States.
With over five million people, Cook County is the America’s second most populous county. Everything we do – both correctly and incorrectly – serves as an example for the rest of the nation. Unfortunately, for far too long we have been demonstrating many of the things that are wrong with the criminal justice system.
Far too often, jailing the poor and mentally ill is the first option, instead of finding thoughtful solutions that don’t take people away from their family, jobs and livelihood.
Below you will find initiatives and information related to my fight for a more thoughtful approach to criminal justice. Please consider joining us in this fight.
Sheriff Thomas J. Dart
Initiatives and Information
- The Hardship Project
- Warrants Report
- Bail Reform
- Sheriff Dart talks Unjust Incarceration on CBS’ 60 Minutes
- Rocket Docket
Recent Press Releases
- CDC Study Finds Aggressive, Timely Interventions Dramatically Reduced COVID-19 Case at Cook County JailAggressive, comprehensive measures implemented at Cook County Jail caused a dramatic decline in the [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Opens Testing at The New Roseland Hospital for General PublicThree weeks ago in-person visitation resumed at the Cook County Jail for the first time in nearly [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Resumes In-Person Visitation for Detainees at Cook County JailIn-person family visits have resumed at the Cook County Jail for the first time in nearly three [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart, New Roseland Community Hospital Opens COVID-19 Test Site for Sheriff’s Office EmployeesCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced that a mobile COVID-19 testing site opened today at [Read More]
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAs part of its ongoing effort to inform the public of the measures being taken to combat the spread [Read More]