Two Young Children Found Outside in the Cold in Unincorporated Arlington Heights
Posted on January 30th, 2019
Two children were found walking outside alone in unincorporated Arlington Heights, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 2:10 p.m. today, Sheriff’s Police responded to a report of two children, a 3-year-old boy and a 5-year-old girl, walking outside of an apartment building. One child was improperly dressed for the weather. The children were crying and had some skin redness. Both children were taken to an area hospital for treatment of cold weather related injuries.
Also today, two vulnerable senior citizens came to the Skokie Courthouse in need of assistance due to the cold. Sheriff’s staff helped them find shelter and other resources.
The Sheriff’s Office is taking proactive measures today and tomorrow to deal with the record-setting cold temperatures and Sheriff Dart reminds the public to call 911 if their safety or health is at risk.
Sheriff’s Police proactive cold-weather operations include:
- Heightened awareness for homeless in the cold and bringing citizens to warming shelters if needed
- Senior citizen home checks in Ford Heights
- Heightened awareness for stranded motorists
- Heightened awareness for Animal Control situations
- Premise checks of public parks for cold exposure situations
- Premise checks of abandoned buildings/houses
- Assisting citizens where needed to limit exposure to the cold
Within the Cook County Jail:
- Two empty tiers have been designated for any discharged detainees who wish to remain if they have no place to go in the cold temperatures
- The jail has cold-weather apparel on hand for discharged detainees if needed
- Multiple shuttles have been provided for necessary staff and detainee movement around the compound
Recent Press Releases
- Illinois Senate Passes Bill seeking to Deter Assaults, Public Indecency to Staff in Correctional SettingsA bill seeking to address assaults and public indecency against those working in correctional [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Police Conducting Enforcement Patrols Focused on Distracted DriversCook County Sheriff’s Police will be conducting enhanced patrols focusing on distracted drivers, [Read More]
- Man Charged with UUW after Fleeing with Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic WeaponsA 26-year-old Chicago man has been charged after he fled from investigators with a package [Read More]
- Bolingbrook Man Sentenced to Federal Prison for Child Pornography, Sex TraffickingA 46-year-old Bolingbrook man investigated by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police’s Child Exploitation [Read More]
- Sheriff Warns of Phone Scam Involving Apple Inc.Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning of a sophisticated phone scam targeting Cook County [Read More]