Two Young Children Found Outside in the Cold in Unincorporated Arlington Heights
Posted on January 30th, 2019
Two children were found walking outside alone in unincorporated Arlington Heights, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 2:10 p.m. today, Sheriff’s Police responded to a report of two children, a 3-year-old boy and a 5-year-old girl, walking outside of an apartment building. One child was improperly dressed for the weather. The children were crying and had some skin redness. Both children were taken to an area hospital for treatment of cold weather related injuries.
Also today, two vulnerable senior citizens came to the Skokie Courthouse in need of assistance due to the cold. Sheriff’s staff helped them find shelter and other resources.
The Sheriff’s Office is taking proactive measures today and tomorrow to deal with the record-setting cold temperatures and Sheriff Dart reminds the public to call 911 if their safety or health is at risk.
Sheriff’s Police proactive cold-weather operations include:
- Heightened awareness for homeless in the cold and bringing citizens to warming shelters if needed
- Senior citizen home checks in Ford Heights
- Heightened awareness for stranded motorists
- Heightened awareness for Animal Control situations
- Premise checks of public parks for cold exposure situations
- Premise checks of abandoned buildings/houses
- Assisting citizens where needed to limit exposure to the cold
Within the Cook County Jail:
- Two empty tiers have been designated for any discharged detainees who wish to remain if they have no place to go in the cold temperatures
- The jail has cold-weather apparel on hand for discharged detainees if needed
- Multiple shuttles have been provided for necessary staff and detainee movement around the compound
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to curb the rampant and [Read More]
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]