Two Detainees Charged with Multiple Felonies in Jail Hostage Incident
Posted on August 15th, 2016
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today that two maximum security detainees have been charged for taking control of a jail housing unit and injuring another detainee.
In connection with last month’s incident, Cordarryl Stevenson, 27, has been charged with possession of contraband in a penal institution, a class 1 felony; forcible detention, a class 2 felony; aggravated unlawful restraint, a class 3 felony; aggravated battery, a class 3 felony; criminal damage to county property, a class 3 felony, and mob action, a class 4 felony.
Martin Alvarado, 24, has been charged with aggravated unlawful restraint; aggravated battery, forcible detention, mob action, and possession of contraband in a penal institution.
Both are scheduled to appear today for a bond hearing at the George N. Leighton Criminal Court Building.
According to the Sheriff’s Office investigation, at approximately 4:30 p.m. July 28, Division 10 detainees Alvarado and Stevenson took control of their housing unit, covering the floor with soapy water. They obscured the fixed cameras in the housing unit before tearing them down completely.
At approximately 7:30 p.m. on July 28, members of the jail’s Emergency Response Team entered the housing unit and took custody of Alvarado and Stevenson. The injured detainee was transported to an area hospital for treatment of what appeared to be minor injuries. A weapon was recovered. There were no injuries to staff or to the other 15 detainees housed there.
Alvarado has been in Cook County Jail custody since April 2015 on a murder charge stemming from Cicero Police Department arrest. Stevenson has been in custody since September 2014 on charges of armed robbery and aggravated vehicular hijacking, stemming from a Skokie Police Department arrest.
Stevenson’s previous felony convictions in Cook County include residential burglary and robbery.
Recent Press Releases
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]
- Public’s Help Sought in Identifying Suspicious PersonCook County Sheriff’s Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man involved in a [Read More]