Two Detainees Charged with Multiple Felonies in Jail Hostage Incident
Posted on August 15th, 2016
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today that two maximum security detainees have been charged for taking control of a jail housing unit and injuring another detainee.
In connection with last month’s incident, Cordarryl Stevenson, 27, has been charged with possession of contraband in a penal institution, a class 1 felony; forcible detention, a class 2 felony; aggravated unlawful restraint, a class 3 felony; aggravated battery, a class 3 felony; criminal damage to county property, a class 3 felony, and mob action, a class 4 felony.
Martin Alvarado, 24, has been charged with aggravated unlawful restraint; aggravated battery, forcible detention, mob action, and possession of contraband in a penal institution.
Both are scheduled to appear today for a bond hearing at the George N. Leighton Criminal Court Building.
According to the Sheriff’s Office investigation, at approximately 4:30 p.m. July 28, Division 10 detainees Alvarado and Stevenson took control of their housing unit, covering the floor with soapy water. They obscured the fixed cameras in the housing unit before tearing them down completely.
At approximately 7:30 p.m. on July 28, members of the jail’s Emergency Response Team entered the housing unit and took custody of Alvarado and Stevenson. The injured detainee was transported to an area hospital for treatment of what appeared to be minor injuries. A weapon was recovered. There were no injuries to staff or to the other 15 detainees housed there.
Alvarado has been in Cook County Jail custody since April 2015 on a murder charge stemming from Cicero Police Department arrest. Stevenson has been in custody since September 2014 on charges of armed robbery and aggravated vehicular hijacking, stemming from a Skokie Police Department arrest.
Stevenson’s previous felony convictions in Cook County include residential burglary and robbery.
Recent Press Releases
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAt a time when jails and prison across the nation are still dealing with massive outbreaks of [Read More]
- 22 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersOfficers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issuedcitations to 22 men and [Read More]
- Four Juveniles Arrested on Warrants for Offenses Related to CarjackingThis week Cook County Sheriff’s Police located and arrested four juveniles on warrants related to [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]