Two Charged after Sheriff’s Police Recover Loaded Firearms
Posted on July 22nd, 2018
Two teens have been charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon after Cook County Sheriff’s Police found them with loaded firearms, one which was reported stolen from Indiana, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 11:10 p.m. on July 21, Sheriff’s Police officers responded to the 1300 block of East Lincoln Highway for a report of people with handguns. Upon arrival officers detained two male subjects who matched the description of those observed with guns. Both males then attempted to flee, but officers subdued them both. A 9mm Taurus with two loaded extended magazines fell from the waistband of one of the males, later identified as 19-year-old Deamonte Hurst of Chicago Heights, as he was being subdued.
The other male, a 17-year-old from South Chicago Heights, was found with a .40 caliber Smith & Wesson with an extended magazine in his waistband during a search of his person.
The gun in Hurst’s possession was reported stolen from Gary, Indiana. Hurst has been with charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and possession of a stolen firearm. His bond was set at $15,000-D today during his court appearance at the George N. Leighton Criminal Courthouse.
The 17-year-old, who is not being named because he was charged as a juvenile, was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon. He also has an active warrant for attempt murder.
The defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Cook County Sheriff Asks for Public’s Help in Adoption of Two Very Good DogsTwo dogs that recently completed the Sheriff’s Tails of Redemption program at the Cook County Jail, [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Seeks the Public’s Help Locating Missing Madden Mental Health Center PatientCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is asking for the public’s help locating a Madden Mental Health [Read More]
- Cook County Sheriff’s Police Seeking to Identify Individuals at the Scene of Robbins ShootingCook County Sheriff’s Police are seeking to identify individuals in these photographs as they may [Read More]
- Western Springs Man Charged with Disseminating Child PornographyA 72-year-old man has been charged after an investigation found that he sent explicit images of [Read More]
- Information Sought in Fatal Hit and RunCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is asking for the public’s help in identifying the driver of a [Read More]