Two Charged after Sheriff’s Police Recover Loaded Firearms
Posted on July 22nd, 2018
Two teens have been charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon after Cook County Sheriff’s Police found them with loaded firearms, one which was reported stolen from Indiana, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 11:10 p.m. on July 21, Sheriff’s Police officers responded to the 1300 block of East Lincoln Highway for a report of people with handguns. Upon arrival officers detained two male subjects who matched the description of those observed with guns. Both males then attempted to flee, but officers subdued them both. A 9mm Taurus with two loaded extended magazines fell from the waistband of one of the males, later identified as 19-year-old Deamonte Hurst of Chicago Heights, as he was being subdued.
The other male, a 17-year-old from South Chicago Heights, was found with a .40 caliber Smith & Wesson with an extended magazine in his waistband during a search of his person.
The gun in Hurst’s possession was reported stolen from Gary, Indiana. Hurst has been with charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and possession of a stolen firearm. His bond was set at $15,000-D today during his court appearance at the George N. Leighton Criminal Courthouse.
The 17-year-old, who is not being named because he was charged as a juvenile, was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon. He also has an active warrant for attempt murder.
The defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Two Men Charged After Being Found with Stolen VehicleTwo men have been charged after a traffic stop revealed they were in possession of a stolen [Read More]
- Man Charged with First Degree Murder in Robbins KillingA 60-year-old Blue Island man has been charged with first degree murder in the shooting death of a [Read More]
- Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution following Sheriff’s Police, Homeland Security InvestigationAn investigation by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit and U.S. Department of Homeland [Read More]
- Spectator Sign-Up Process for People vs. Van DykeMembers of the public who wish to observe the upcoming People vs. Van Dyke criminal trial will be [Read More]
- Blue Island Man Charged with Possession of Child PornographyA 45-year-old Blue Island man has been charged after an investigation found images of child [Read More]