Substitute Teacher Arrested for Predatory Criminal Sexual Assault
Posted on January 28th, 2016
A substitute teacher at La Grange Highlands Elementary School has been charged with predatory criminal sexual assault of a child and aggravated criminal sexual abuse, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
On Jan. 25 Cook County Sheriff’s Police responded to a report that a substitute teacher inappropriately touched a female student that day after class. The teacher was identified as Joseph Gurzejk, 56, of Westchester. He had worked at the school as substitute teacher since 2004.
Cook County Sheriff’s Police took Gurzejk into custody on Jan. 26. He was charged on Jan. 27.
Gurzejk is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing today at the Bridgeview Courthouse.
Sheriff Dart asks anyone with additional information to call Sheriff’s Police at 708-865-4896.
Sheriff Dart also reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAt a time when jails and prison across the nation are still dealing with massive outbreaks of [Read More]
- 22 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersOfficers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issuedcitations to 22 men and [Read More]
- Four Juveniles Arrested on Warrants for Offenses Related to CarjackingThis week Cook County Sheriff’s Police located and arrested four juveniles on warrants related to [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]