Substitute Teacher Arrested for Predatory Criminal Sexual Assault
Posted on January 28th, 2016
A substitute teacher at La Grange Highlands Elementary School has been charged with predatory criminal sexual assault of a child and aggravated criminal sexual abuse, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
On Jan. 25 Cook County Sheriff’s Police responded to a report that a substitute teacher inappropriately touched a female student that day after class. The teacher was identified as Joseph Gurzejk, 56, of Westchester. He had worked at the school as substitute teacher since 2004.
Cook County Sheriff’s Police took Gurzejk into custody on Jan. 26. He was charged on Jan. 27.
Gurzejk is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing today at the Bridgeview Courthouse.
Sheriff Dart asks anyone with additional information to call Sheriff’s Police at 708-865-4896.
Sheriff Dart also reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]
- Public’s Help Sought in Identifying Suspicious PersonCook County Sheriff’s Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man involved in a [Read More]