Sheriff’s Police Investigation Leads to Charges in Sexual Assault at Assisted Living Facility
Posted on August 20th, 2017
Sunday, August 20, 2017 — A 57-year-old man has been charged after a Sheriff’s Police investigation found he sexually assaulted another resident at a Robbins assisted living facility, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
On June 13, 2015, a 58-year-old woman who lived at an assisted living facility, located in the 13800 block of Utica Avenue, reported she was sexually assaulted by another resident, Charles Bryant, at the facility. Bryant, according to the report, held the victim down – preventing her from crying out for help – and sexually assaulted her. After the assault, the victim ran out of the room and later notified the facility’s staff of what had occurred.
Sheriff’s Police re-opened the investigation in November 2016. Sheriff’s Police detectives learned through lab results received this year that DNA tied the offender to the victim.
Bryant, who now lives in Hazel Crest, was arrested by Sheriff’s Police detectives on Aug. 19. He has been charged with aggravated criminal sexual assault, a class X felony, and criminal sexual assault, a class 1 felony. He is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing today at the George N. Leighton Criminal Courthouse.
Sheriff’s Police investigations into sexual assault reports in Robbins have led to charges in seven cases and cleared and closed an additional 21 cases.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAt a time when jails and prison across the nation are still dealing with massive outbreaks of [Read More]
- 22 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersOfficers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issuedcitations to 22 men and [Read More]
- Four Juveniles Arrested on Warrants for Offenses Related to CarjackingThis week Cook County Sheriff’s Police located and arrested four juveniles on warrants related to [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]