Sheriff’s Police Investigation Leads to Charges in Sexual Assault at Assisted Living Facility
Posted on August 20th, 2017
Sunday, August 20, 2017 — A 57-year-old man has been charged after a Sheriff’s Police investigation found he sexually assaulted another resident at a Robbins assisted living facility, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
On June 13, 2015, a 58-year-old woman who lived at an assisted living facility, located in the 13800 block of Utica Avenue, reported she was sexually assaulted by another resident, Charles Bryant, at the facility. Bryant, according to the report, held the victim down – preventing her from crying out for help – and sexually assaulted her. After the assault, the victim ran out of the room and later notified the facility’s staff of what had occurred.
Sheriff’s Police re-opened the investigation in November 2016. Sheriff’s Police detectives learned through lab results received this year that DNA tied the offender to the victim.
Bryant, who now lives in Hazel Crest, was arrested by Sheriff’s Police detectives on Aug. 19. He has been charged with aggravated criminal sexual assault, a class X felony, and criminal sexual assault, a class 1 felony. He is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing today at the George N. Leighton Criminal Courthouse.
Sheriff’s Police investigations into sexual assault reports in Robbins have led to charges in seven cases and cleared and closed an additional 21 cases.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to curb the rampant and [Read More]
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]