Sheriff’s Police Arrest Man Aiming Handgun Laser at Motorists
Posted on September 6th, 2016
A man aiming a handgun laser sight at people on the roadway has been charged with aggravated assault, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Derrick Harrington, 21, of Chicago was driving early Monday, Sept. 5 when he allegedly pointed a gun at a driver and her passenger, according to the victims.
At approximately 1 a.m., while conducting a safety check at 7100 S. Indiana in Chicago, Sheriff’s Police were informed of the incident by one of the victims, who added that the suspect was in the vehicle behind them.
Sheriff’s Police learned that the handgun was under the driver’s seat in Harrington’s car, and later recovered a loaded .40 caliber Glock with an activated laser sight.
Despite the suspect refusing orders to show his hands and exit the vehicle, officers were able to extract and handcuff Harrington without incident.
The defendant, who possessed a valid Firearm Owner Identification and Concealed Carry License, was charged with two felony counts of aggravated assault with a handgun laser and his permits are being processed for revocation.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAt a time when jails and prison across the nation are still dealing with massive outbreaks of [Read More]
- 22 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersOfficers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issuedcitations to 22 men and [Read More]
- Four Juveniles Arrested on Warrants for Offenses Related to CarjackingThis week Cook County Sheriff’s Police located and arrested four juveniles on warrants related to [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]