Sheriff’s Police Arrest Man Aiming Handgun Laser at Motorists
Posted on September 6th, 2016
A man aiming a handgun laser sight at people on the roadway has been charged with aggravated assault, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Derrick Harrington, 21, of Chicago was driving early Monday, Sept. 5 when he allegedly pointed a gun at a driver and her passenger, according to the victims.
At approximately 1 a.m., while conducting a safety check at 7100 S. Indiana in Chicago, Sheriff’s Police were informed of the incident by one of the victims, who added that the suspect was in the vehicle behind them.
Sheriff’s Police learned that the handgun was under the driver’s seat in Harrington’s car, and later recovered a loaded .40 caliber Glock with an activated laser sight.
Despite the suspect refusing orders to show his hands and exit the vehicle, officers were able to extract and handcuff Harrington without incident.
The defendant, who possessed a valid Firearm Owner Identification and Concealed Carry License, was charged with two felony counts of aggravated assault with a handgun laser and his permits are being processed for revocation.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]
- Public’s Help Sought in Identifying Suspicious PersonCook County Sheriff’s Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man involved in a [Read More]