Sheriff’s Police Arrest Man Aiming Handgun Laser at Motorists
Posted on September 6th, 2016
A man aiming a handgun laser sight at people on the roadway has been charged with aggravated assault, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Derrick Harrington, 21, of Chicago was driving early Monday, Sept. 5 when he allegedly pointed a gun at a driver and her passenger, according to the victims.
At approximately 1 a.m., while conducting a safety check at 7100 S. Indiana in Chicago, Sheriff’s Police were informed of the incident by one of the victims, who added that the suspect was in the vehicle behind them.
Sheriff’s Police learned that the handgun was under the driver’s seat in Harrington’s car, and later recovered a loaded .40 caliber Glock with an activated laser sight.
Despite the suspect refusing orders to show his hands and exit the vehicle, officers were able to extract and handcuff Harrington without incident.
The defendant, who possessed a valid Firearm Owner Identification and Concealed Carry License, was charged with two felony counts of aggravated assault with a handgun laser and his permits are being processed for revocation.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- 25 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersCOOK COUNTY, IL – Officers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issued [Read More]
- Man Charged with Illegally Transferring FirearmCOOK COUNTY, IL – A 22-year-old Midlothian man has been charged after a Sheriff’s Police [Read More]
- Man Charged with Aggravated Battery to a Sheriff’s Police OfficerCOOK COUNTY, IL – A 35-year-old man has been charged with multiple felonies after a Cook County [Read More]
- Man Charged with Attempted Murder in Ford Heights ShootingCOOK COUNTY, IL – A 35-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder after an investigation [Read More]
- Woman Charged with Stabbing Woman, Sheriff’s Police OfficerCOOK COUNTY, IL – A 42-year-old woman has been charged with aggravated battery after a Cook County [Read More]