Sheriff’s Office Warns Public of Phone Scam
Posted on February 28th, 2020
The Cook County Sheriff’s Office would like to warn the public of a phone scam in which the caller identifies himself as “Sgt. Dennis Peterson” or “Lt. Jonathan Moore” and claims to be an employee the Sheriff’s Office.
The calls have originated from multiple different phone numbers, and it is unclear how widespread these phone calls may be, or whether there are additional versions and additional fictitious names.
The Cook County Sheriff’s Office does not call to solicit money. Please exercise caution if you receive this or a similar call. Do not agree to send money or provide any sensitive personal or financial information.
If you have any suspicion about the call, we encourage you to contact the Cook County Sheriff’s Office non-emergency line at 847-635-1188.
Recent Press Releases
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]
- Cook County Sheriff’s Police Administer Naloxone to Save a Chicago ManThe quick and compassionate work of Cook County Sheriff’s Police reversed a deadly overdose in [Read More]
- Missing Teen Recovered by Cook County Sheriff’s Police, Man Charged with TraffickingA 37-year-old man faces felony charges after he allegedly sex trafficked a missing 14-year-old [Read More]
- Michigan Woman Charged With 2003 Murder of Her Newborn Twin SonsAn extensive Sheriff’s Police cold case investigation has led to murder charges against a Michigan [Read More]