Sheriff Warns of Ruse Entry Burglaries
Posted on November 2nd, 2015
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning the public to be on alert when someone comes to the door claiming to be a worker without proper identification — it may be a set up for a burglary.
Sheriff’s Police detectives are investigating a suspected ruse entry burglary that occurred last week in unincorporated Roselle. In ruse entry burglaries, one offender distracts the victim, while another offender goes into the home and takes cash and valuables.
At approximately 4:30 p.m. on Oct. 30, an unknown man wearing beige work pants, a beige shirt and a green baseball cap, told a resident who lived in the 100 block of West Nerge Road that he was a landscaper and walked her to her backyard to explain the services he could provide. He was described as 5’7” to 5’8” tall, 170 to 180 pounds with black hair, a thin black mustache and a light medium brown complexion. A short time later, the man received a phone call and spoke to the caller in a foreign language. The man then left the location and did not return.
The victim later discovered a safe and other items missing from the home.
Sheriff Dart offers the following safety tips to help avoid becoming a victim of these types of burglaries:
- Do not let anyone inside your home if you are not expecting them
- Ask workers for identification before letting them into your home.
- Note any vehicle information – license plate, make and model of the vehicle.
- Call 911 immediately if you encounter anyone suspicious.
Sheriff Dart also asks anyone with information regarding this burglary to call the Sheriff’s Police Investigation Section at 708-865-4896.
Recent Press Releases
- Pair Charged with Attempt Murder in Unincorporated Oak Forest ShootingHa Zell Williams Dashaun Colbert Two 18-year-old men have been charged with attempt murder in [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Criminal Sexual Assault ChargesShannon Griffin A teacher at a Burbank private school has been charged with Criminal Sexual [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Conducting Traffic Safety Checkpoint in Leyden TownshipCook County Sheriff’s Police will conduct a roadside safety checkpoint in Leyden Township on the [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with UUW after Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic Weapons Delivered to ResidenceJaveon Burton Allen A 22-year-old Chicago man has been charged after a package containing switches [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]