Sheriff Warns of Phone Scam
Posted on April 20th, 2016
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning of a phone scam in which a caller claims to be a member of the Cook County Sheriff’s Office.
In this scam, the unknown offenders use a spoofing application to make it appear on Caller ID that the phone call is coming from a Sheriff’s Office number. The caller identifies as a Cook County Sheriff’s officer and tells the victim that they are being investigated for fraud by the IRS. The caller tells the victim to call an IRS agent at a particular number.
This is a scam. The Sheriff’s Office is not working with the IRS on any cases.
Sheriff Dart offers the following tips to avoid becoming a phone scam victim:
- If you believe the call is suspicious, hang up.
- Do not give any personal information, such as social security or bank account numbers, over the phone.
- If the caller claims to be from a specific agency, hang up and call that agency to determine if there is a legitimate reason to contact you. Do not use the phone number the caller gives you.
- If you receive a phone call about owing taxes, hang up and call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 if you believe you may owe taxes.
- Report any bogus IRS phone calls to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 1-800-366-4484.
Sheriff Dart asks anyone who may believe they are victim of this scam, or may have information about the perpetrators, to call Sheriff’s Police at 708-865-4896.
Recent Press Releases
- CDC Study Finds Aggressive, Timely Interventions Dramatically Reduced COVID-19 Case at Cook County JailAggressive, comprehensive measures implemented at Cook County Jail caused a dramatic decline in the [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Opens Testing at The New Roseland Hospital for General PublicThree weeks ago in-person visitation resumed at the Cook County Jail for the first time in nearly [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Resumes In-Person Visitation for Detainees at Cook County JailIn-person family visits have resumed at the Cook County Jail for the first time in nearly three [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart, New Roseland Community Hospital Opens COVID-19 Test Site for Sheriff’s Office EmployeesCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced that a mobile COVID-19 testing site opened today at [Read More]
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAs part of its ongoing effort to inform the public of the measures being taken to combat the spread [Read More]