Sheriff Warns of Phone Scam
Posted on February 2nd, 2018
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning of a phone scam in which the caller claims to be a member of the Cook County Sheriff’s Office.
In this scam, the caller makes notification that there is an allegation against the victim and that payment is required. A spoofing application is used to make it appear on caller ID that the phone call is coming from a Cook County Sheriff’s Office number.
The Sheriff’s Office does not make such notifications by phone nor does the office ask for payment over the phone.
Sheriff Dart offers the following tips to avoid becoming a phone scam victim:
- If you believe the call is suspicious, hang up.
- Never give personal information, such as social security or bank account numbers, over the phone.
- Legitimate police employees do not ask that payments be made via pre-paid debit cards.
- If the caller claims to be from a specific agency, hang up and call that agency to determine if there is a legitimate reason to contact you. Do not use the phone number the caller gives you.
Sheriff Dart asks anyone who believes they are victim of this scam to call Sheriff’s Police at 708-865-4896.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff’s Police, U.S. Department of Homeland Security investigation leads to Promoting Prostitution Charges against Gurnee ManAn investigation by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit and the U.S. Department of Homeland [Read More]
- Cook County Sheriff Asks for Public’s Help in Adoption of Two Very Good DogsTwo dogs that recently completed the Sheriff’s Tails of Redemption program at the Cook County Jail, [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Seeks the Public’s Help Locating Missing Madden Mental Health Center PatientCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is asking for the public’s help locating a Madden Mental Health [Read More]
- Cook County Sheriff’s Police Seeking to Identify Individuals at the Scene of Robbins ShootingCook County Sheriff’s Police are seeking to identify individuals in these photographs as they may [Read More]
- Western Springs Man Charged with Disseminating Child PornographyA 72-year-old man has been charged after an investigation found that he sent explicit images of [Read More]