Sheriff Warns of Phone Scam
Posted on February 2nd, 2018
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning of a phone scam in which the caller claims to be a member of the Cook County Sheriff’s Office.
In this scam, the caller makes notification that there is an allegation against the victim and that payment is required. A spoofing application is used to make it appear on caller ID that the phone call is coming from a Cook County Sheriff’s Office number.
The Sheriff’s Office does not make such notifications by phone nor does the office ask for payment over the phone.
Sheriff Dart offers the following tips to avoid becoming a phone scam victim:
- If you believe the call is suspicious, hang up.
- Never give personal information, such as social security or bank account numbers, over the phone.
- Legitimate police employees do not ask that payments be made via pre-paid debit cards.
- If the caller claims to be from a specific agency, hang up and call that agency to determine if there is a legitimate reason to contact you. Do not use the phone number the caller gives you.
Sheriff Dart asks anyone who believes they are victim of this scam to call Sheriff’s Police at 708-865-4896.
Recent Press Releases
- Four Detainees Indicted in Connection with Robbery of another DetaineeFour detainees have been indicted on multiple felony charges in connection with a robbery of [Read More]
- Bill seeking to Reduce In-Custody Childbirths Passes Illinois General AssemblyA groundbreaking bill seeking to reduce the number of children born in custody to pre-trial [Read More]
- Cook County Jail Detainee Indicted on Charge of Aggravated AssaultA Cook County Jail detainee was indicted this week on a charge of aggravated assault against a [Read More]
- Cook County Sheriff’s Police Save Second Person’s Life with NaloxoneCOOK COUNTY, IL – A Skokie man found unresponsive Wednesday morning in a courthouse bathroom was [Read More]
- Bill Seeking Heavy Sanctions for Indecent Exposure by Cook County Jail Detainees Passes Illinois Senate CommitteeA bill seeking to enact harsher penalties on detainees who expose themselves and conduct lewd [Read More]