Sheriff Warns of Phone Scam
Posted on February 2nd, 2018
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning of a phone scam in which the caller claims to be a member of the Cook County Sheriff’s Office.
In this scam, the caller makes notification that there is an allegation against the victim and that payment is required. A spoofing application is used to make it appear on caller ID that the phone call is coming from a Cook County Sheriff’s Office number.
The Sheriff’s Office does not make such notifications by phone nor does the office ask for payment over the phone.
Sheriff Dart offers the following tips to avoid becoming a phone scam victim:
- If you believe the call is suspicious, hang up.
- Never give personal information, such as social security or bank account numbers, over the phone.
- Legitimate police employees do not ask that payments be made via pre-paid debit cards.
- If the caller claims to be from a specific agency, hang up and call that agency to determine if there is a legitimate reason to contact you. Do not use the phone number the caller gives you.
Sheriff Dart asks anyone who believes they are victim of this scam to call Sheriff’s Police at 708-865-4896.
Recent Press Releases
- Two Men Charged After Being Found with Stolen VehicleTwo men have been charged after a traffic stop revealed they were in possession of a stolen [Read More]
- Man Charged with First Degree Murder in Robbins KillingA 60-year-old Blue Island man has been charged with first degree murder in the shooting death of a [Read More]
- Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution following Sheriff’s Police, Homeland Security InvestigationAn investigation by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit and U.S. Department of Homeland [Read More]
- Spectator Sign-Up Process for People vs. Van DykeMembers of the public who wish to observe the upcoming People vs. Van Dyke criminal trial will be [Read More]
- Blue Island Man Charged with Possession of Child PornographyA 45-year-old Blue Island man has been charged after an investigation found images of child [Read More]