Sheriff Warns of Phone Scam Involving Apple Inc.
Posted on March 8th, 2019
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning of a sophisticated phone scam targeting Cook County residents.
In this scam, an unsolicited caller claiming to be from Apple Inc. states that there has been a security compromise to their device and/or iCloud account. The caller then directs the customer to provide their Internet Protocol (IP) address and/or additional personal information such as usernames, passwords and financial information. Phone numbers associated with this scam include: (800) 275-2273 and (703) 336-8450, additionally, the calls may come up on caller I.D. as Apple Customer Service or Apple Inc.
This is a known scam in which Apple is aware. The company has stated that Apple customer service representatives will never ask customers to provide information such as passwords or security keys via phone.
Sheriff Dart offers the following tips to avoid becoming a victim of this and/or other phone scams:
• If you receive a call similar to the above scam, hang up and call Apple Customer Service: (800) 692-7753.
• Never give personal information, such as social security or bank account numbers, over the phone.
• Be wary of any unsolicited call that asks you to take an action right away over the phone.
• The Federal Trade Commission offers additional tips for consumers, here: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/scam-alerts
Recent Press Releases
- Pair Charged with Attempt Murder in Unincorporated Oak Forest ShootingHa Zell Williams Dashaun Colbert Two 18-year-old men have been charged with attempt murder in [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Criminal Sexual Assault ChargesShannon Griffin A teacher at a Burbank private school has been charged with Criminal Sexual [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Conducting Traffic Safety Checkpoint in Leyden TownshipCook County Sheriff’s Police will conduct a roadside safety checkpoint in Leyden Township on the [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with UUW after Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic Weapons Delivered to ResidenceJaveon Burton Allen A 22-year-old Chicago man has been charged after a package containing switches [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]