Sheriff Identifies Inmates Involved in Jail Hostage Incident
Posted on July 29th, 2016
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart has released the identities of the detainees who took control of a jail housing tier and injured another detainee. The office has also released video clips depicting the incident.
At approximately 7:30 p.m. on Thursday members of the jail’s Emergency Response Team entered the tier, took custody of 24-year-old Martin Alvarado and 27-year-old Cordarryl Stevenson. The injured detainee was transported to an area hospital for treatment of what appeared to be minor injuries. A weapon was recovered.
There were no injuries to staff or to the other 15 detainees housed on the tier.
According to the Sheriff’s Office investigation, at approximately 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, Division 10 detainees Alvarado and Stevenson took control of their housing tier, covering the floor with soapy water. They obscured the fixed cameras on the tier before tearing them down completely.
A criminal investigation is ongoing and additional criminal charges are expected against both detainees.
Alvarado has been in Cook County Jail custody since April 2015 on a murder charge stemming from Cicero Police Department arrest. Stevenson has been in custody since September 2014 on charges of armed robbery and aggravated vehicular hijacking, stemming from a Skokie Police Department arrest.
In June, Alvarado was charged with battery against another detainee. Stevenson was charged in October 2014 and July 2015 with aggravated battery to a peace officer. In each incident, Stevenson punched a correctional deputy. In May 2016 he was charged with disarming a peace officer.
Sheriff Dart applauds the exceptional expertise and professionalism of his staff and reminds the public that the defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAt a time when jails and prison across the nation are still dealing with massive outbreaks of [Read More]
- 22 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersOfficers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issuedcitations to 22 men and [Read More]
- Four Juveniles Arrested on Warrants for Offenses Related to CarjackingThis week Cook County Sheriff’s Police located and arrested four juveniles on warrants related to [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]