Sheriff Identifies Inmates Involved in Jail Hostage Incident
Posted on July 29th, 2016
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart has released the identities of the detainees who took control of a jail housing tier and injured another detainee. The office has also released video clips depicting the incident.
At approximately 7:30 p.m. on Thursday members of the jail’s Emergency Response Team entered the tier, took custody of 24-year-old Martin Alvarado and 27-year-old Cordarryl Stevenson. The injured detainee was transported to an area hospital for treatment of what appeared to be minor injuries. A weapon was recovered.
There were no injuries to staff or to the other 15 detainees housed on the tier.
According to the Sheriff’s Office investigation, at approximately 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, Division 10 detainees Alvarado and Stevenson took control of their housing tier, covering the floor with soapy water. They obscured the fixed cameras on the tier before tearing them down completely.
A criminal investigation is ongoing and additional criminal charges are expected against both detainees.
Alvarado has been in Cook County Jail custody since April 2015 on a murder charge stemming from Cicero Police Department arrest. Stevenson has been in custody since September 2014 on charges of armed robbery and aggravated vehicular hijacking, stemming from a Skokie Police Department arrest.
In June, Alvarado was charged with battery against another detainee. Stevenson was charged in October 2014 and July 2015 with aggravated battery to a peace officer. In each incident, Stevenson punched a correctional deputy. In May 2016 he was charged with disarming a peace officer.
Sheriff Dart applauds the exceptional expertise and professionalism of his staff and reminds the public that the defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to curb the rampant and [Read More]
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]