Sheriff Dart’s Child Rescue Unit Locates 1000th Youth in Care
Posted on May 27th, 2021
COOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Police Child Rescue Unit (CRU) located its 1,000th missing youth in care on Wednesday, announced Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart.
“Youth in the state’s care who are missing are extremely vulnerable to trafficking, drugs and violence,” said Sheriff Dart. “We must do everything in our power to try and locate them, protect them and help them succeed in life. They are our children too.”
Sheriff Dart created a specialized unit in 2012 to look for missing youth in the care of the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services as he also called for a state audit into how the agency was handling missing and abducted children. The results of that audit revealed that previous DCFS administrations often failed to report missing youth in a timely manner and sometimes missing youth were not reported at all.
The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children reports one in six endangered runways in America to be likely sex trafficking victims. As of May 25, there were more than 150 missing youth in care with outstanding judicial orders to find them.
In 2016, DCFS child welfare specialists began partnering with Sheriff’s Police under the Child Rescue Unit to locate missing youth in care – a first-of-its-kind unit in the state to address the problem. The CRU also assists the Chicago Children’s Advocacy Center to locate missing youth and provides human trafficking awareness training to social services agencies throughout the county.
The most recent youth in care located by the CRU were two girls, ages 11 and 15, found in Chicago.
The CRU can be reached at CCSO.CRU@CCSHERIFF.ORG or 312-433-6301.
Recent Press Releases
- Cook County Jail Chess Team Places Second in International Chess TournamentCOOK COUNTY, IL – Seven individuals in custody at the Cook County Jail competed this morning in an [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Multiple Felonies for Explicit Texts, Possession of Child PornographyCOOK COUNTY, IL – A Chicago man who engaged in sexually explicit conversations and sent graphic [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Spotlights Public-Facing Community Resource CenterCOOK COUNTY, IL – With significant challenges facing Chicago area residents who struggle with [Read More]
- Chicago Woman Charged with First Degree Murder Following a March Shooting in Unincorporated Proviso TownshipCOOK COUNTY, IL –A Chicago woman who allegedly shot and killed a 28-year-old man in an incident [Read More]
- Des Plaines Man Charged with Attempt Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse of a Minor and Possession of Child PornographyCOOK COUNTY, IL – A 69-year-old Des Plaines man has been charged with multiple felonies after he [Read More]