Sheriff Dart Warns of Ruse Burglaries
Posted on February 12th, 2019
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning the public about ruse burglaries following an incident that occurred in unincorporated Palos Heights.
At approximately 4 p.m. on Feb. 10, a 94-year-old woman was approached by a man outside her home in the 6000 block of West 127th Place. He began chatting with her in a way that gave the resident the impression that he knew her. While talking to her outside, the man convinced her to continue their conversation inside her home.
The man was with the resident the entire time while they were inside. He left after receiving a phone call, telling the resident he was an Uber driver and had to pick someone up. He left in a white vehicle, possibly an SUV or a small van.
Later, the victim noticed her bedroom dresser and closet had been rummaged through and money was missing.
Sheriff’s Police believe the woman was the victim of a ruse burglary, in which an offender distracts victims by pretending to be worker or a neighbor. While the victims are distracted, another offender or multiple offenders enter the home and take cash and valuables.
Sheriff Dart offers the following ruse burglary prevention tips:
- Do not let anyone you are not expecting into your home.
- Talk through the door.
- If the person says he or she is utility employee, call that agency to verify that an employee has legitimate business at your home. Do not use the phone number the person at the door gives you.
- Call 9-1-1 immediately if you encounter anyone suspicious.
Sheriff Dart also asks anyone with information regarding this burglary to call Sheriff’s Police detectives at 708-865-4896.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to curb the rampant and [Read More]
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]