Sheriff Dart Warns of Ruse Burglaries
Posted on February 12th, 2019
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning the public about ruse burglaries following an incident that occurred in unincorporated Palos Heights.
At approximately 4 p.m. on Feb. 10, a 94-year-old woman was approached by a man outside her home in the 6000 block of West 127th Place. He began chatting with her in a way that gave the resident the impression that he knew her. While talking to her outside, the man convinced her to continue their conversation inside her home.
The man was with the resident the entire time while they were inside. He left after receiving a phone call, telling the resident he was an Uber driver and had to pick someone up. He left in a white vehicle, possibly an SUV or a small van.
Later, the victim noticed her bedroom dresser and closet had been rummaged through and money was missing.
Sheriff’s Police believe the woman was the victim of a ruse burglary, in which an offender distracts victims by pretending to be worker or a neighbor. While the victims are distracted, another offender or multiple offenders enter the home and take cash and valuables.
Sheriff Dart offers the following ruse burglary prevention tips:
- Do not let anyone you are not expecting into your home.
- Talk through the door.
- If the person says he or she is utility employee, call that agency to verify that an employee has legitimate business at your home. Do not use the phone number the person at the door gives you.
- Call 9-1-1 immediately if you encounter anyone suspicious.
Sheriff Dart also asks anyone with information regarding this burglary to call Sheriff’s Police detectives at 708-865-4896.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]
- Illinois Senate Passes Bill seeking to Deter Assaults, Public Indecency to Staff in Correctional SettingsA bill seeking to address assaults and public indecency against those working in correctional [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Police Conducting Enforcement Patrols Focused on Distracted DriversCook County Sheriff’s Police will be conducting enhanced patrols focusing on distracted drivers, [Read More]
- Man Charged with UUW after Fleeing with Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic WeaponsA 26-year-old Chicago man has been charged after he fled from investigators with a package [Read More]
- Bolingbrook Man Sentenced to Federal Prison for Child Pornography, Sex TraffickingA 46-year-old Bolingbrook man investigated by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police’s Child Exploitation [Read More]