Sheriff Dart Warns of Ruse Burglaries
Posted on February 12th, 2019
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning the public about ruse burglaries following an incident that occurred in unincorporated Palos Heights.
At approximately 4 p.m. on Feb. 10, a 94-year-old woman was approached by a man outside her home in the 6000 block of West 127th Place. He began chatting with her in a way that gave the resident the impression that he knew her. While talking to her outside, the man convinced her to continue their conversation inside her home.
The man was with the resident the entire time while they were inside. He left after receiving a phone call, telling the resident he was an Uber driver and had to pick someone up. He left in a white vehicle, possibly an SUV or a small van.
Later, the victim noticed her bedroom dresser and closet had been rummaged through and money was missing.
Sheriff’s Police believe the woman was the victim of a ruse burglary, in which an offender distracts victims by pretending to be worker or a neighbor. While the victims are distracted, another offender or multiple offenders enter the home and take cash and valuables.
Sheriff Dart offers the following ruse burglary prevention tips:
- Do not let anyone you are not expecting into your home.
- Talk through the door.
- If the person says he or she is utility employee, call that agency to verify that an employee has legitimate business at your home. Do not use the phone number the person at the door gives you.
- Call 9-1-1 immediately if you encounter anyone suspicious.
Sheriff Dart also asks anyone with information regarding this burglary to call Sheriff’s Police detectives at 708-865-4896.
Recent Press Releases
- Pair Charged with Attempt Murder in Unincorporated Oak Forest ShootingHa Zell Williams Dashaun Colbert Two 18-year-old men have been charged with attempt murder in [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Criminal Sexual Assault ChargesShannon Griffin A teacher at a Burbank private school has been charged with Criminal Sexual [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Conducting Traffic Safety Checkpoint in Leyden TownshipCook County Sheriff’s Police will conduct a roadside safety checkpoint in Leyden Township on the [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with UUW after Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic Weapons Delivered to ResidenceJaveon Burton Allen A 22-year-old Chicago man has been charged after a package containing switches [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]