Sheriff Dart Spreads Awareness of Opioid Crisis and Naloxone
Posted on January 17th, 2018
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart launched an email helpline today to connect people to life-saving drug naloxone and released the second installment of the Sheriff’s Awareness Initiative video series on the opioid crisis.
The video seeks to underscore the number of overdose deaths using a map to illustrate how every part of Cook County is impacted. Opioids kill more people than guns and car accidents annually. The video directs viewers to reach out to a new email address to be assisted in obtaining Naloxone, which can be administered by lay people and can reverse an overdose.
Members of the public interested in knowing how to obtain free naloxone should email Opioid.Help@CookCountyIL.gov for further information. The Office will work with community partners and other naloxone sources to facilitate distribution. Additionally, anyone seeking information on how to properly dispose of unused prescription medication can receive instruction via the email address, or visit: http://www.cookcountysheriff.org/departments/supportive-services/prescription-drug-take-back-program/
The email helpline and Awareness Initiative are just a few elements of the Office’s response to the crisis. Several substance abuse programs both inside and outside the Cook County Jail address hundreds of detainees for addiction on a daily basis.
The Office also partners with the Cook County Health and Hospitals System to distribute naloxone to at-risk detainees upon release. More than 1,200 kits have been distributed.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingThe Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available to the public to [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to curb the rampant and [Read More]
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]