Sheriff Dart Seeking Attempted Murder Charges for Attack on Officers
Posted on April 27th, 2017
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is seeking attempted murder charges on three maximum security inmates who attacked two correctional deputies.
At approximately 8:30 p.m. on Wednesday, three detainees repeatedly punched two correctional deputies in a housing tier in Division 9, the super maximum facility. The deputies were taken to area hospitals for treatment. One deputy had a fractured orbital and the other lost consciousness and was kept at the hospital overnight for observation.
Two of the detainees under investigation for Wednesday’s attack – 19-year-old David Bush and 20-year-old Taiwan McNeal are being held on charges of attempted murder for allegedly shooting an off-duty Oak Park Police officer in 2015. The third detainee, Terrence Lynom, 20, has been in Cook County Jail since 2014, on attempted murder for allegedly shooting a 6-year old-girl while she rode her bike in the Roseland neighborhood.
Each of the three detainees has had more than 20 court continuances on their original cases. Lynom has had 36 continuances.
All three have had multiple disciplinary incidents issued since they have been in custody.
Sheriff Dart is working with the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office to seek attempted murder charges for the detainees involved in attacking the correctional deputies. The investigation is ongoing.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Video of the incident can be viewed here:
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to curb the rampant and [Read More]
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]