Sheriff Dart to Seek Termination of Markham Courthouse Employees, Agrees to Pre-Litigation Settlement of Sexual Assault Case
Posted on October 6th, 2017
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today that he intends to seek the termination of nine staff members determined to have allowed the sexual assault of a female detainee by two male detainees at the Markham Courthouse.
On May 2, 2017, a 52-year-old female detainee reported that she was sexually assaulted by two male detainees in a holding cell at the courthouse.
Sheriff Dart immediately launched a comprehensive internal investigation into how the male detainees had access to the female detainee and continues to cooperate fully with the ongoing criminal investigation being conducted by the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office.
The two male detainees, Hamidullah Tribble, 21, and Nelon Drake, 29, have been charged with criminal sexual assault in connection with this case.
This week, the Sheriff’s Office reached, in principle, a pre-litigation settlement of all claims with the victim for $3.25 million dollars.
The Sheriff’s Office also implemented a series of reforms to ensure the protection of all detainees, including mandating deputies assigned to any area of a courthouse without fixed cameras wear body-worn cameras, assigning additional trained supervisors to the Markham Courthouse and comprehensive unannounced security audits of all court facilities.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingThe Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available to the public to [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to curb the rampant and [Read More]
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]