Sheriff Dart to Seek Termination of Markham Courthouse Employees, Agrees to Pre-Litigation Settlement of Sexual Assault Case
Posted on October 6th, 2017
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today that he intends to seek the termination of nine staff members determined to have allowed the sexual assault of a female detainee by two male detainees at the Markham Courthouse.
On May 2, 2017, a 52-year-old female detainee reported that she was sexually assaulted by two male detainees in a holding cell at the courthouse.
Sheriff Dart immediately launched a comprehensive internal investigation into how the male detainees had access to the female detainee and continues to cooperate fully with the ongoing criminal investigation being conducted by the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office.
The two male detainees, Hamidullah Tribble, 21, and Nelon Drake, 29, have been charged with criminal sexual assault in connection with this case.
This week, the Sheriff’s Office reached, in principle, a pre-litigation settlement of all claims with the victim for $3.25 million dollars.
The Sheriff’s Office also implemented a series of reforms to ensure the protection of all detainees, including mandating deputies assigned to any area of a courthouse without fixed cameras wear body-worn cameras, assigning additional trained supervisors to the Markham Courthouse and comprehensive unannounced security audits of all court facilities.
Recent Press Releases
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]
- Cook County Sheriff’s Police Administer Naloxone to Save a Chicago ManThe quick and compassionate work of Cook County Sheriff’s Police reversed a deadly overdose in [Read More]
- Missing Teen Recovered by Cook County Sheriff’s Police, Man Charged with TraffickingA 37-year-old man faces felony charges after he allegedly sex trafficked a missing 14-year-old [Read More]
- Michigan Woman Charged With 2003 Murder of Her Newborn Twin SonsAn extensive Sheriff’s Police cold case investigation has led to murder charges against a Michigan [Read More]