Sheriff Dart Releases Additional Video in Jail Hostage Incident
Posted on August 5th, 2016
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart has released additional video in which detainees took control of a jail housing unit and injured another detainee.
According to the Sheriff’s Office investigation, at approximately 4:30 p.m. July 28, Division 10 detainees Martin Alvarado and Cordarryl Stevenson took control of their housing unit, covering the floor with soapy water. They obscured the fixed cameras in the housing unit before tearing them down completely.
At approximately 7:30 p.m. on July 28, members of the jail’s Emergency Response Team entered the housing unit, took custody of Martin, 24, and Stevenson, 27. The injured detainee was transported to an area hospital for treatment of what appeared to be minor injuries. A weapon was recovered.
There were no injuries to staff or to the other 15 detainees housed there. A criminal investigation is ongoing and additional criminal charges are expected against both detainees.
Sheriff Dart applauds the exceptional expertise and professionalism of his staff.
Recent Press Releases
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]
- Public’s Help Sought in Identifying Suspicious PersonCook County Sheriff’s Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man involved in a [Read More]