Sheriff Dart Announces Winners of 2016 Youth Service Medal of Honor
Posted on December 1st, 2016
271 students representing 33 different high schools will receive the Cook County Sheriff’s Youth Service Medal of Honor tonight for volunteering more than 100 hours to the betterment of their community in the last year, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart said today.
In addition to the minimum of 100 service hours (not including the service hours required by each student’s high school), applicants submit essays about their volunteering experiences. Examples of service from this year’s winners include mentoring students, volunteering at hospitals, assisting in food pantries, volunteering at their local church, and helping grieving young adults through a support group.
The 271 winners together surpassed more than 37,970 hours of community service.
The ceremony will take place at 7 p.m. tonight at Moraine Valley Community College in Palos Hills. The event will take place in Building M just off the 111th St. entrance to the campus.
When: Thursday, December 1st at 7:00pm
Where: Moraine Valley Community College, Bldg. M | 9000 West College Parkway, Palos Hills.
2016 Youth Service Medal of Honor Winners
Recent Press Releases
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAt a time when jails and prison across the nation are still dealing with massive outbreaks of [Read More]
- 22 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersOfficers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issuedcitations to 22 men and [Read More]
- Four Juveniles Arrested on Warrants for Offenses Related to CarjackingThis week Cook County Sheriff’s Police located and arrested four juveniles on warrants related to [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]