Sheriff Dart Announces Winners of 2016 Youth Service Medal of Honor
Posted on December 1st, 2016
271 students representing 33 different high schools will receive the Cook County Sheriff’s Youth Service Medal of Honor tonight for volunteering more than 100 hours to the betterment of their community in the last year, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart said today.
In addition to the minimum of 100 service hours (not including the service hours required by each student’s high school), applicants submit essays about their volunteering experiences. Examples of service from this year’s winners include mentoring students, volunteering at hospitals, assisting in food pantries, volunteering at their local church, and helping grieving young adults through a support group.
The 271 winners together surpassed more than 37,970 hours of community service.
The ceremony will take place at 7 p.m. tonight at Moraine Valley Community College in Palos Hills. The event will take place in Building M just off the 111th St. entrance to the campus.
When: Thursday, December 1st at 7:00pm
Where: Moraine Valley Community College, Bldg. M | 9000 West College Parkway, Palos Hills.
2016 Youth Service Medal of Honor Winners
Recent Press Releases
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]
- Public’s Help Sought in Identifying Suspicious PersonCook County Sheriff’s Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man involved in a [Read More]