Cook County Sheriff’s Prescription Drug Take Back Program
Free. Anonymous. Responsible.
Thanks to Cook County residents, since 2017 we destroyed more than 97,677,941 pills through the Cook County Sheriff’s Prescription Drug Take Back Program.
The Cook County Sheriff’s Prescription Drug Take Back Program collects and destroys unwanted prescription drugs at our 80 permanent collection sites, at community take back events and through our mail back service.
Our service is free of charge for County residents.
Collection is handled on an anonymous basis.
Cook County residents can safely dispose of their unwanted medicines by taking them to a collection box located throughout Cook County or to designated community prescription drug take back events. Participating local law enforcement and government agencies and pharmacies will accept unwanted Covered Drugs, including most prescription and over-the-counter medicines for disposal. Mail-back envelopes are available for residents who are elderly or home-bound and have limited mobility. There is no cost to residents to use this service. Learn more by calling our toll-free telephone number 1-84-GOT USD RX (1-844-688-7379). Learn more about our program on this website.
Please dispose of unwanted medicines responsibly—
Don’t toss or flush.
Don’t leave them lying around unattended.
Don’t throw them in the trash or down the sink. Don’t flush them down the toilet.
Remember, unused or expired prescription drugs can lead to poisoning, overdose and abuse. In Illinois, prescription pain medication overdose deaths doubled between 2013 and 2016. Learn about public safety and public health involving prescription drugs on this web page.
Save lives and protect the environment—call 1-84 GOT USD RX or use our interactive map on this web page to find a convenient collection location near you.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Dart’s Child Rescue Unit Locates 1000th Youth in CareCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Police Child Rescue Unit (CRU) located its 1,000th [Read More]
- Cook County Jail Chess Team Places Second in International Chess TournamentCOOK COUNTY, IL – Seven individuals in custody at the Cook County Jail competed this morning in an [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Multiple Felonies for Explicit Texts, Possession of Child PornographyCOOK COUNTY, IL – A Chicago man who engaged in sexually explicit conversations and sent graphic [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Spotlights Public-Facing Community Resource CenterCOOK COUNTY, IL – With significant challenges facing Chicago area residents who struggle with [Read More]
- Chicago Woman Charged with First Degree Murder Following a March Shooting in Unincorporated Proviso TownshipCOOK COUNTY, IL –A Chicago woman who allegedly shot and killed a 28-year-old man in an incident [Read More]