Cook County Sheriff’s Prescription Drug Take Back Program
Free. Anonymous. Responsible.
Thanks to Cook County residents, since 2017 we destroyed more than 23,334,000 pills through the Cook County Sheriff’s Prescription Drug Take Back Program.
The Cook County Sheriff’s Prescription Drug Take Back Program collects and destroys unwanted prescription drugs at our 80 permanent collection sites, at community take back events and through our mail back service.
Our service is free of charge for County residents.
Collection is handled on an anonymous basis.
Cook County residents can safely dispose of their unwanted medicines by taking them to a collection box located throughout Cook County or to designated community prescription drug take back events. Participating local law enforcement and government agencies and pharmacies will accept unwanted Covered Drugs, including most prescription and over-the-counter medicines for disposal. Mail-back envelopes are available for residents who are elderly or home-bound and have limited mobility. There is no cost to residents to use this service. Learn more by calling our toll-free telephone number 1-84-GOT USD RX (1-844-688-7379). Learn more about our program on this website.
Please dispose of unwanted medicines responsibly—
Don’t toss or flush.
Don’t leave them lying around unattended.
Don’t throw them in the trash or down the sink. Don’t flush them down the toilet.
Remember, unused or expired prescription drugs can lead to poisoning, overdose and abuse. In Illinois, prescription pain medication overdose deaths doubled between 2013 and 2016. Learn about public safety and public health involving prescription drugs on this web page.
Save lives and protect the environment—call 1-84 GOT USD RX or use our interactive map on this web page to find a convenient collection location near you.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to curb the rampant and [Read More]
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]