Prisoner Charged After Handgun Found at Cook County Jail
Posted on August 17th, 2017
COOK COUNTY, IL —A prisoner has been charged after a Sheriff’s Office investigation found that he left a gun in a Cook County Jail trash can, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
On the morning of Aug. 15, a loaded, 32 caliber Kel-Tec handgun was found by staff in the trash in the jail’s receiving area, where new prisoners are brought in by outside law enforcement agencies.
The discovery prompted a jail lockdown so a thorough search of the compound could be conducted. The lockdown order was lifted today.
Sheriff’s investigators learned that at approximately 9:20 a.m. on Aug. 13, 25-year-old Quentin Jones had the gun in his possession and discarded it in a trash can in the jail’s receiving area. Jones, of Chicago, was booked into the jail that day on domestic battery and criminal damage to property charges.
Jones has been charged with possession of a firearm in a penal institution, a class X felony. He is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing today at the George N. Leighton Criminal Courthouse for the new charge.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law
Recent Press Releases
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]
- Public’s Help Sought in Identifying Suspicious PersonCook County Sheriff’s Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man involved in a [Read More]