Merit Board Decisions
The Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board, consisting of nine (9) members, was established in conformance with the provisions of Chapter 55 of the Illinois Compiled Statutes (55 ILCS 5/3-7002). The Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board is an independent body which exercises purely statutory powers.
The Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board has statutory authority to conduct hearings on disciplinary matters involving Police Officers, Police Sergeants, Police Lieutenants, Correctional Officers, Correctional Sergeants, Correctional Lieutenants, Correctional Captains, Deputy Sheriffs, Deputy Sergeants and Deputy Lieutenants subsequent to their one (1) year probationary period. The Board’s jurisdiction applies when the Sheriff files written charges requesting disciplinary suspension in excess of thirty (30) days, demotion in rank or separation from service.
The Board, after hearing written charges pursuant to their authority in Chapter 55 of the Illinois Compiled Statutes, may upon the finding of the charges being proven order any of the following disciplinary measures as prescribed in 55 ILCS 5/3-7012:
(1) Separation; (2) Reduction in rank; (3) Suspension for a period not to exceed a total of one hundred and eighty (180) days; (4) Or any other such sanctions prescribed by the Rules and Regulations of the Board which in the opinion of the members thereof the offense(s) may merit.
The Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board’s Final Decisions are subject to change pursuant to the provisions of the Administrative Review Law (735 ILCS 5/3-101 et seq.). For additional information, please see the Rules and Regulations of the Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board.
Decisions issued by the Board are listed below.
Warning – Graphic Images and Explicit Language
Sustained Sheriff’s Investigations Pending with Merit Board
Final Merit Board Decisions
Recent Press Releases
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]
- Public’s Help Sought in Identifying Suspicious PersonCook County Sheriff’s Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man involved in a [Read More]