Matteson Man Charged after Sheriff’s Police Recover Two Loaded Firearms
Posted on February 7th, 2019
A Matteson man has been charged after Sheriff’s Police recovered two loaded firearms during a traffic stop in Ford Heights, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 5:30 p.m. on Feb. 6, Sheriff’s Police pulled over a vehicle at Woodlawn Avenue and Route 30 in Ford Heights after a check of the license plate revealed the driver’s license was suspended. After curbing the vehicle and making contact with the driver – Keith Owens, 24, of Matteson – officers detected a strong odor of cannabis inside the vehicle.
A search of the vehicle led to the recovery of a loaded .380 caliber handgun and a loaded 9mm handgun in addition to hundreds of rounds of ammunition, a hunting knife, two black ski masks and a bag containing suspect cannabis. Owens was subsequently arrested and charged with Unlawful Use of a Weapon.
Bond for Owens was set at $20,000-D today at the Markham Courthouse.
The public is reminded that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Pair Charged with Attempt Murder in Unincorporated Oak Forest ShootingHa Zell Williams Dashaun Colbert Two 18-year-old men have been charged with attempt murder in [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Criminal Sexual Assault ChargesShannon Griffin A teacher at a Burbank private school has been charged with Criminal Sexual [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Conducting Traffic Safety Checkpoint in Leyden TownshipCook County Sheriff’s Police will conduct a roadside safety checkpoint in Leyden Township on the [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with UUW after Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic Weapons Delivered to ResidenceJaveon Burton Allen A 22-year-old Chicago man has been charged after a package containing switches [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]