Matteson Man Charged after Sheriff’s Police Recover Two Loaded Firearms
Posted on February 7th, 2019
A Matteson man has been charged after Sheriff’s Police recovered two loaded firearms during a traffic stop in Ford Heights, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 5:30 p.m. on Feb. 6, Sheriff’s Police pulled over a vehicle at Woodlawn Avenue and Route 30 in Ford Heights after a check of the license plate revealed the driver’s license was suspended. After curbing the vehicle and making contact with the driver – Keith Owens, 24, of Matteson – officers detected a strong odor of cannabis inside the vehicle.
A search of the vehicle led to the recovery of a loaded .380 caliber handgun and a loaded 9mm handgun in addition to hundreds of rounds of ammunition, a hunting knife, two black ski masks and a bag containing suspect cannabis. Owens was subsequently arrested and charged with Unlawful Use of a Weapon.
Bond for Owens was set at $20,000-D today at the Markham Courthouse.
The public is reminded that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]
- Illinois Senate Passes Bill seeking to Deter Assaults, Public Indecency to Staff in Correctional SettingsA bill seeking to address assaults and public indecency against those working in correctional [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Police Conducting Enforcement Patrols Focused on Distracted DriversCook County Sheriff’s Police will be conducting enhanced patrols focusing on distracted drivers, [Read More]
- Man Charged with UUW after Fleeing with Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic WeaponsA 26-year-old Chicago man has been charged after he fled from investigators with a package [Read More]
- Bolingbrook Man Sentenced to Federal Prison for Child Pornography, Sex TraffickingA 46-year-old Bolingbrook man investigated by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police’s Child Exploitation [Read More]