Man Charged with Possessing Dogfighting Equipment
Posted on November 17th, 2016
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today that a Harvey man has been charged with possessing dogfighting equipment following a Sheriff’s Police investigation.
Earlier this year, Cook County Sheriff’s Police investigators received information that 59-year-old Tyran Johnson was training dogs for the purpose of dogfighting at his home in the 14700 block of Washington Avenue in Harvey.
After further investigation, Sheriff’s Police investigators executed a search warrant for the residence on Nov. 4. Sheriff’s Police found four dogs— one had scars and appeared to be underweight, one had scars, one appeared to be underweight and one appeared to be healthy. Officers also located a modified treadmill and spring poles among other equipment associated with training dogs to fight.
The four dogs are currently being cared for at Chicago Animal Care and Control.
Johnson, who has two prior arrests for violations of animal owner’s duties for which he received conditional discharge and court supervision, was not home when the search warrant was executed. Sheriff’s Police attempted to locate him. On Nov. 15, Johnson turned himself in to Sheriff’s Police. He was charged with possession of dogfighting equipment.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingThe Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available to the public to [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to curb the rampant and [Read More]
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]