Man Charged with Possessing Dogfighting Equipment
Posted on November 17th, 2016
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today that a Harvey man has been charged with possessing dogfighting equipment following a Sheriff’s Police investigation.
Earlier this year, Cook County Sheriff’s Police investigators received information that 59-year-old Tyran Johnson was training dogs for the purpose of dogfighting at his home in the 14700 block of Washington Avenue in Harvey.
After further investigation, Sheriff’s Police investigators executed a search warrant for the residence on Nov. 4. Sheriff’s Police found four dogs— one had scars and appeared to be underweight, one had scars, one appeared to be underweight and one appeared to be healthy. Officers also located a modified treadmill and spring poles among other equipment associated with training dogs to fight.
The four dogs are currently being cared for at Chicago Animal Care and Control.
Johnson, who has two prior arrests for violations of animal owner’s duties for which he received conditional discharge and court supervision, was not home when the search warrant was executed. Sheriff’s Police attempted to locate him. On Nov. 15, Johnson turned himself in to Sheriff’s Police. He was charged with possession of dogfighting equipment.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAt a time when jails and prison across the nation are still dealing with massive outbreaks of [Read More]
- 22 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersOfficers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issuedcitations to 22 men and [Read More]
- Four Juveniles Arrested on Warrants for Offenses Related to CarjackingThis week Cook County Sheriff’s Police located and arrested four juveniles on warrants related to [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]