Man Charged with Possessing Dogfighting Equipment
Posted on November 17th, 2016
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today that a Harvey man has been charged with possessing dogfighting equipment following a Sheriff’s Police investigation.
Earlier this year, Cook County Sheriff’s Police investigators received information that 59-year-old Tyran Johnson was training dogs for the purpose of dogfighting at his home in the 14700 block of Washington Avenue in Harvey.
After further investigation, Sheriff’s Police investigators executed a search warrant for the residence on Nov. 4. Sheriff’s Police found four dogs— one had scars and appeared to be underweight, one had scars, one appeared to be underweight and one appeared to be healthy. Officers also located a modified treadmill and spring poles among other equipment associated with training dogs to fight.
The four dogs are currently being cared for at Chicago Animal Care and Control.
Johnson, who has two prior arrests for violations of animal owner’s duties for which he received conditional discharge and court supervision, was not home when the search warrant was executed. Sheriff’s Police attempted to locate him. On Nov. 15, Johnson turned himself in to Sheriff’s Police. He was charged with possession of dogfighting equipment.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Dart’s Child Rescue Unit Locates 1000th Youth in CareCOOK COUNTY, IL – The Cook County Sheriff’s Police Child Rescue Unit (CRU) located its 1,000th [Read More]
- Cook County Jail Chess Team Places Second in International Chess TournamentCOOK COUNTY, IL – Seven individuals in custody at the Cook County Jail competed this morning in an [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Multiple Felonies for Explicit Texts, Possession of Child PornographyCOOK COUNTY, IL – A Chicago man who engaged in sexually explicit conversations and sent graphic [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Spotlights Public-Facing Community Resource CenterCOOK COUNTY, IL – With significant challenges facing Chicago area residents who struggle with [Read More]
- Chicago Woman Charged with First Degree Murder Following a March Shooting in Unincorporated Proviso TownshipCOOK COUNTY, IL –A Chicago woman who allegedly shot and killed a 28-year-old man in an incident [Read More]