Man Charged with Murder in Connection with Body Found in Thatcher Woods
Posted on January 6th, 2017
A 36-year-old man has been charged with the murder of a man whose body was found at the Thatcher Woods Forest Preserve, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Sheriff’s Police Detectives responded on May 30, 2016 to Thatcher Woods for a death investigation. Human remains had been found in a plastic bag. The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office determined the cause of the man’s death was a gunshot wound.
The victim was identified as Fernando Casas, 19, of Stone Park. Casas had been missing since May 19.
During their investigation, Sheriff’s Police detectives identified the shooter as Carlos Martinez-Rodriguez, who was last seen with the victim.
On Sept. 6 an arrest warrant was issued for Martinez-Rodriguez, who was found to be residing in New York City. On Jan. 5, Martinez-Rodriguez was returned to Cook County. He has been charged with first degree murder.
Martinez-Rodriguez was denied bond today during his hearing at the Maywood Courthouse. His next court appearance is scheduled for Jan. 9 at the Maywood Courthouse.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]
- Public’s Help Sought in Identifying Suspicious PersonCook County Sheriff’s Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man involved in a [Read More]