La Grange Park Man Charged with Aggravated Vehicular Hijacking
Posted on March 15th, 2021
COOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police arrested a 20-year-old La Grange Park man after he arranged to purchase a vehicle from an individual and then carjacked the victim at gunpoint, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
On March 9, the man, identified as David Herman Jr, of the 1500 block of Newberry Avenue in La Grange Park arranged to meet the seller of a Ford E250 van at a gas station. Herman requested to take the van on a test drive to his bank to withdraw the funds. While on the test drive, Herman pulled
into the parking lot of Zoo Woods Forest Preserve in Riverside under the pretense of checking the engine components a second time.
After checking the engine, Herman agreed to purchase the vehicle. When the seller attempted to reenter the vehicle, he observed Herman holding a handgun. The seller then fled and called the police.
On March 10, at approximately 12:40 a.m., Illinois State Trooper observed a Ford E250 crashed on the side of I-80. The vehicle was identified as having been stolen, and Herman was then arrested and taken to Sheriff’s Police Headquarters for questioning.
Herman appeared for a bond hearing in the Maywood Courthouse on the charge of aggravated vehicular hijacking, where he was issued a $150,000 D bond.
The public is reminded that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Manager Charged In Connection With Ongoing Criminal Investigation of Sexual Harassment at Edward Hines, Jr. VA HospitalCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police detectives are conducting an ongoing investigation [Read More]
- In-Person Visitation to Resume Sunday, March 14, at Cook County JailCOOK COUNTY, IL – In-person visitation at the Cook County Jail is scheduled to resume on Sunday, [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution Following Sheriff’s Police StingCOOK COUNTY, IL – A Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution after Cook County [Read More]
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAt a time when jails and prison across the nation are still dealing with massive outbreaks of [Read More]
- 22 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersOfficers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issuedcitations to 22 men and [Read More]