IDOC Parolee Charged with UUW after Sheriff’s Police Recover Stolen Gun
Posted on January 14th, 2018
A man paroled less than two months ago following weapon and drug convictions has been charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon after he was found with a stolen gun in Chicago’s 6th District, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 9:35 p.m. on Jan. 13, Sheriff’s Police officers working targeted enforcement in Chicago’s 6th district stopped a gray Chrysler 200 near 74th and Halsted for a vehicle code violation. After making contact with the driver they could smell a strong odor of raw cannabis coming from inside the vehicle and saw a leafy green residue by the foot of the front seat passenger.
Officers had the driver and passenger step out of the car. While searching the vehicle, officers found a loaded, .380 caliber Cobra FS380 near the front passenger seat, where 24-year-old Darien Word was sitting. Officers also recovered cannabis, a digital scale and plastic bags.
Officers learned that Word, of the 7200 block of South Bell Avenue in Chicago, was paroled in November following drugs and weapons convictions. Officers also learned the weapon recovered had been reported stolen from DeKalb County.
Word was taken into custody and charged with Unlawful Use of a Weapon by a felon. He was also charged with manufacturing delivery of cannabis — 30 to 500 grams, possession of cannabis –100 to 500 grams, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
The driver, 22-year-old Mercedes Robinson, was charged with manufacturing/delivery of cannabis — 30 to 500 grams, possession of cannabis –100 to 500 grams and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingThe Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available to the public to [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to curb the rampant and [Read More]
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]