How Do I?
Report Suspected Domestic Violence:
If the violence is occurring right now, call 911. If you suspect ongoing violence, call your local police department.
Report Suspected Child Abuse:
You can either call police, 911, or Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) at the child abuse helpline 800-25-ABUSE (800-252-2873) www.state.il.us/dcfs/index.shtml
Report Suspected Animal Cruelty:
If it is an emergency, call 911. Otherwise, you can call the Cook County Special Operations Unit at 708-865-4720 during business hours or the 24-hour patrol desk at 708-865-4790.
What do I do if I find a gun?
Do not touch the gun. Call 911. Notify the operator of your location and the gun’s location. Then describe what the gun looks like to the operator.
Get my towed vehicle back:
Go to the Sheriff’s Police Patrol Desk at 1401 Maybrook Dr., Maywood, IL with the following:
- Valid Driver’s License (or bring a licensed driver with you)
- Valid Insurance Card
- Proof of Ownership (title, original purchase papers, rental agreement)
- $500 cash or credit card (surcharge/convenience fee added)
You will get a paid stamp on your receipt from the patrol desk. Go to the towing company with the documents listed above and your receipt to get your vehicle back. There will be towing fees. For more information, call the towing company.
Get recovered property back:
If property is “Hold for Owner,” the owner can come with valid identification to pick it up. Call 708-865-4841 to make an appointment.
If property is “Hold for Investigation,” the property has to be released by the investigating officer before the owner can pick it up. The owner can call 708-865-4841 to inquire.
If the property is a gun, the owner needs to have court order papers, or a completed gun packet (notarized) to have property released. The owner can call 708-865-4841 for more information.
Still not finding what you’re looking for? Submit your question using the form below:
Recent Press Releases
- Two Men Charged After Being Found with Stolen VehicleTwo men have been charged after a traffic stop revealed they were in possession of a stolen [Read More]
- Man Charged with First Degree Murder in Robbins KillingA 60-year-old Blue Island man has been charged with first degree murder in the shooting death of a [Read More]
- Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution following Sheriff’s Police, Homeland Security InvestigationAn investigation by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit and U.S. Department of Homeland [Read More]
- Spectator Sign-Up Process for People vs. Van DykeMembers of the public who wish to observe the upcoming People vs. Van Dyke criminal trial will be [Read More]
- Blue Island Man Charged with Possession of Child PornographyA 45-year-old Blue Island man has been charged after an investigation found images of child [Read More]