Hillside Man Charged with UUW After Being Found with Gun in Melrose Park
Posted on November 5th, 2017
A 23-year-old man has been charged with a felony after Cook County Sheriff’s Police officers found him with a stolen pistol in unincorporated Melrose Park, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 2:45 p.m. on Nov. 3, Sheriff’s officers responding to another complaint in the 2300 block of North Mannheim Road, learned that Jovantae Withers was in the area and carrying a gun. Withers was subsequently located nearby and found with a loaded 9mm pistol in his waistband. The gun had a full 14-round clip.
Further investigation found that Withers, a Hillside resident, has a previous felony conviction and does not have a Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID) card or Concealed Carry permit.
Withers was taken into custody and charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, a class 2 felony.
During a bond court appearance on Saturday, Withers received an I-bond and was released on his own recognizance.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAt a time when jails and prison across the nation are still dealing with massive outbreaks of [Read More]
- 22 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersOfficers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issuedcitations to 22 men and [Read More]
- Four Juveniles Arrested on Warrants for Offenses Related to CarjackingThis week Cook County Sheriff’s Police located and arrested four juveniles on warrants related to [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]