Fugitive Apprehended in Mexico Returns to Cook County to Face Charges
Posted on February 11th, 2016
An investigation by the Cook County Sheriff’s Central Warrant Unit, the Wheeling Police Department and the FBI led to apprehension of a man in Mexico who is wanted in a Wheeling home invasion case, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Steve Chung, 28, was one of two people charged in a 2014 home invasion that occurred in Wheeling. The victim was held at gunpoint and beaten. An arrest warrant was issued in June 2015 for Chung, whose last known address was in Des Plaines, after he stopped coming to court.
Working with Wheeling Police, the Sheriff’s Central Warrant Unit learned last month that Chung was in Guadalajara, Mexico. He had been living in Mexico since June 2015, teaching English online. The Central Warrant Unit contacted the Federal Bureau of Investigation Violent Crime Task Force for assistance in locating him.
On Wednesday, Mexican Immigration officials and the FBI located Chung in Guadalajara and arrested him. Mexican immigration officials escorted Chung on his flight this morning to Chicago. Central Warrant Unit officers and FBI agents took Chung into custody after he landed at Midway Airport.
Chung is scheduled to appear for hearing on Friday at the George N. Leighton Criminal Court Building.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the Government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Chicago Woman Charged with First Degree Murder Following a March Shooting in Unincorporated Proviso TownshipCOOK COUNTY, IL –A Chicago woman who allegedly shot and killed a 28-year-old man in an incident [Read More]
- Des Plaines Man Charged with Attempt Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse of a Minor and Possession of Child PornographyCOOK COUNTY, IL – A 69-year-old Des Plaines man has been charged with multiple felonies after he [Read More]
- Crestwood Man Charged with Possession of Child PornographyCOOK COUNTY, IL – An 18-year-old Crestwood man has been charged with possession of child [Read More]
- 21 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersCOOK COUNTY, IL – Officers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issued [Read More]
- Oak Lawn Man Charged in Death of Hometown Police LieutenantCOOK COUNTY, IL – An Oak Lawn man who allegedly struck and killed a Hometown Police Lieutenant [Read More]