Fugitive Apprehended in Mexico Returns to Cook County to Face Charges
Posted on February 11th, 2016
An investigation by the Cook County Sheriff’s Central Warrant Unit, the Wheeling Police Department and the FBI led to apprehension of a man in Mexico who is wanted in a Wheeling home invasion case, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Steve Chung, 28, was one of two people charged in a 2014 home invasion that occurred in Wheeling. The victim was held at gunpoint and beaten. An arrest warrant was issued in June 2015 for Chung, whose last known address was in Des Plaines, after he stopped coming to court.
Working with Wheeling Police, the Sheriff’s Central Warrant Unit learned last month that Chung was in Guadalajara, Mexico. He had been living in Mexico since June 2015, teaching English online. The Central Warrant Unit contacted the Federal Bureau of Investigation Violent Crime Task Force for assistance in locating him.
On Wednesday, Mexican Immigration officials and the FBI located Chung in Guadalajara and arrested him. Mexican immigration officials escorted Chung on his flight this morning to Chicago. Central Warrant Unit officers and FBI agents took Chung into custody after he landed at Midway Airport.
Chung is scheduled to appear for hearing on Friday at the George N. Leighton Criminal Court Building.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the Government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingThe Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available to the public to [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to curb the rampant and [Read More]
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]