Freedom of Information Act Request
The Freedom of Information Act was created to ensure that public entities like the Cook County Sheriff’s Office (CCSO) operate on an open and transparent level. It allows the media, commercial business, or individuals to request documents and records.
To electronically submit a Freedom of Information Act request to the Cook County Sheriff’s Office, please click the link above and follow instructions. Please do the same for all Subpoena requests. This system replaces submissions via email; however, FOIA requests can still be made through standard mail and in person.
To submit via standard mail or in person please follow the following steps:
- Fill out the standard Cook County Sheriff’s Office FOIA Request Forms, which are available for your convenience at the Richard J. Daley Center, Room 704 or at the following link:
- On the form, please include your name, contact information and if you are requesting the records for commercial purposes
- Please provide a detailed description of the records you are requesting. (Please include any relevant information, such as Case Report Number, Booking Number, Eviction Case Number, Address of Incident, Date of Incident, Date of Birth and/or other information). This information will aid the search for records.
- Once the form has been filled out it can be submitted the following ways:
- Standard Mail:
Cook County Sheriff’s Office
Attn: Freedom of Information Officer
Richard J. Daley Center
50 West Washington, Room 704
Chicago, Illinois 60602
- In person to Room 704 of the Richard J. Daley Center (50 West Washington, Chicago IL 60602) during business hours Monday through Friday (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. excluding public holidays).
There is no fee for the first 50 pages of black and white, letter or legal sized copies. The CCSO requires a fee of 15 cents per page for each page in excess of 50 pages. The requestor must pay the copying fee before the CCSO will release the requested copies.
Crash/Reconstruction Report: If you would like to obtain a copy of an accident crash report or an accident reconstruction report, please be advised there is a $5 fee for crash reports and a $20.00 fee for reconstruction reports, pursuant to 5 ILCS 140/6(b) and 625 ILCS 5/11-416. Please include a check or money order with your request payable to the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Department. Submit the written request and accompanying check to:
Attn: FOIA Officer
Richard J. Daley Center, Room 704
50 West Washington Street
Chicago, IL 60602
Please note that the Sheriff’s Office is an independent entity from the Chicago Police Department (“CPD”). To submit a FOIA request to CPD, please contact:
Chicago Police Department -Records Division
ATTN: FOIA Officer
3510 South Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60653
Please be advised that FOIA is not the appropriate venue to obtain a complete criminal background history. In order to get a complete criminal background report you should contact the Illinois State Police Bureau of Identification at 260 North Chicago Street, Joliet, IL 60432; (815) 740-5160.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Warns of Phone Scam Involving Apple Inc.Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning of a sophisticated phone scam targeting Cook County [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Proposes Reforms to Close Deadly Gun Regulation LoopholesTo ensure the public is better protected from those who lose their right to carry deadly weapons, [Read More]
- Man Charged with UUW after Firearms, Ammunition Found in ApartmentA Leyden Township man has been charged with multiple felonies after firearms, ammunition and [Read More]
- Pair Charged with UUW after Firearms, Ammunition FoundTwo men have been charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon after firearms and ammunition [Read More]
- Awareness Resource Created for Front Lines of Opioid CrisisCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart released new episodes today of the podcast “Breaking Free” [Read More]