Freedom of Information Act Requests & Subpoenas Duces Tecum
Please be advised that GovQA is no longer compatible with certain browsers, such as older Microsoft browsers. For optimal use of this site and its features you must use Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge.
Please be advised that the CCSO is directing all essential resources and staffing towards preventing and responding to the spread of COVID-19 within Cook County. This response includes activating emergency staffing procedures and slowing/ceasing non-essential processes and workstations in order to address staffing core functions and cover any staffing shortages. Accordingly, locating certain records may prove difficult if not impossible at this time. We will make every effort to accommodate your request and respond in a timely manner, including contacting you to confer in narrowing your request if needed.
We strongly encourage you to submit all requests electronically, as we cannot guarantee that requests sent via U.S. mail will be received by the CCSO until the state-wide shelter-in-place is lifted. Thank you for your patience.
The Freedom of Information Act was created to ensure that public entities like the Cook County Sheriff’s Office (CCSO) operate on an open and transparent level. It allows the media, commercial business, or individuals to request documents and records.
To electronically submit a Freedom of Information Act request to the Cook County Sheriff’s Office, please click the link above and follow instructions. Please do the same for all Subpoena requests. This system replaces submissions via email; however, FOIA requests can still be made through standard mail and in person to the address below:
Cook County Sheriff’s Office
Attn: Freedom of Information Officer
Richard J. Daley Center
50 West Washington, Room 704
Chicago, Illinois 60602
For assistance in filing a FOIA or subpoena electronically, please reference the How-To Guide available here:
Please note that the Sheriff’s Office is an independent entity from the Chicago Police Department (“CPD”). To submit a FOIA request to CPD, please contact:
Chicago Police Department -Records Division
ATTN: FOIA Officer
3510 South Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60653
Please be advised that FOIA is not the appropriate venue to obtain a complete criminal background history. In order to get a complete criminal background report you should contact the Illinois State Police Bureau of Identification at 260 North Chicago Street, Joliet, IL 60432; (815) 740-5160.
Recent Press Releases
- 25 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersCOOK COUNTY, IL – Officers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issued [Read More]
- Man Charged with Illegally Transferring FirearmCOOK COUNTY, IL – A 22-year-old Midlothian man has been charged after a Sheriff’s Police [Read More]
- Man Charged with Aggravated Battery to a Sheriff’s Police OfficerCOOK COUNTY, IL – A 35-year-old man has been charged with multiple felonies after a Cook County [Read More]
- Man Charged with Attempted Murder in Ford Heights ShootingCOOK COUNTY, IL – A 35-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder after an investigation [Read More]
- Woman Charged with Stabbing Woman, Sheriff’s Police OfficerCOOK COUNTY, IL – A 42-year-old woman has been charged with aggravated battery after a Cook County [Read More]