Freedom of Information Act Request
The Freedom of Information Act was created to ensure that public entities like the Cook County Sheriff’s Office (CCSO) operate on an open and transparent level. It allows the media, commercial business, or individuals to request documents and records. Before submitting a FOIA request please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Please note that the Sheriff’s Office is an independent entity from the Chicago Police Department (“CPD”). To submit a FOIA request to CPD, please contact:
Chicago Police Department -Records Division
ATTN: FOIA Officer
3510 South Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60653
Please be advised that FOIA is not the appropriate venue to obtain a complete criminal background history. In order to get a complete criminal background report you should contact the Illinois State Police Bureau of Identification at 260 North Chicago Street, Joliet, IL 60432; (815) 740-5160.
To submit a request to the Cook County Sheriff’s Office, please follow the steps listed below:
- All FOIA requests must be submitted in writing. Standard Cook County Sheriff’s Office FOIA Request Forms are available for your convenience at the Richard J. Daley Center, Room 704 or at the following link:
- On the form, please include your name, contact information and if you are requesting the records for commercial purposes
- Please provide a detailed description of the records you are requesting. (Please include any relevant information, such as Case Report Number, Booking Number, Eviction Case Number, Address of Incident, Date of Incident, Date of Birth and/or other information). This information will aid the search for records.
- Once the form has been filled out it can be submitted the following ways:
- Standard Mail
Cook County Sheriff’s Office
Attn: Freedom of Information Officer
Richard J. Daley Center
50 West Washington, Room 704
Chicago, Illinois 60602
- Via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In person to Room 704 of the Richard J. Daley Center (50 West Washington, Chicago IL 60602) during business hours Monday through Friday (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. excluding public holidays).
There is no fee for the first 50 pages of black and white, letter or legal sized copies. The CCSO requires a fee of ¢15 cents per page for each page in excess of 50 pages. The requestor must pay the copying fee before the CCSO will release the requested copies.
Crash/Reconstruction Report: If you would like to obtain a copy of an accident crash report or an accident reconstruction report, please be advised there is a $5 fee for crash reports and a $20.00 fee for reconstruction reports, pursuant to 5 ILCS 140/6(b) and 625 ILCS 5/11-416. Please include a check or money order with your request payable to the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Department. Submit the written request and accompanying check to:
Attn: FOIA Officer
Richard J. Daley Center, Room 704
50 West Washington Street
Chicago, IL 60602
Recent Press Releases
- Cook County Sheriff Asks for Public’s Help in Adoption of Two Very Good DogsTwo dogs that recently completed the Sheriff’s Tails of Redemption program at the Cook County Jail, [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Seeks the Public’s Help Locating Missing Madden Mental Health Center PatientCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is asking for the public’s help locating a Madden Mental Health [Read More]
- Cook County Sheriff’s Police Seeking to Identify Individuals at the Scene of Robbins ShootingCook County Sheriff’s Police are seeking to identify individuals in these photographs as they may [Read More]
- Western Springs Man Charged with Disseminating Child PornographyA 72-year-old man has been charged after an investigation found that he sent explicit images of [Read More]
- Information Sought in Fatal Hit and RunCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is asking for the public’s help in identifying the driver of a [Read More]