Former Markham Police Officer Charged in Criminal Sexual Abuse Case
Posted on June 3rd, 2016
A former Markham Police officer has been charged after a Sheriff’s Police investigation found he had sexually abused a teenage girl, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Relatives of the victim initially contacted the Markham Police Department on May 31 after they suspected sexual activity between the victim, who is now 16, and the 53-year-old defendant, Charles D. Smith, Sr. Because Smith is a former Markham Police Officer, the Markham Police Department requested that Sheriff’s Police investigate.
During their investigation, Sheriff’s Police detectives learned that from November 2015 to May 2016, Smith had multiple sexual contacts with the victim, who is now 16, at his residence in Markham.
Smith worked at the Markham Police Department from 2006 to 2010. He previously has worked as a police officer for the Robbins Police Department, and a fireman for the Robbins and Phoenix Fire departments.
Smith, of Markham, has been charged with the one count of aggravated criminal sexual abuse. His bond was set at $30,000 today at the Markham Courthouse.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]
- Public’s Help Sought in Identifying Suspicious PersonCook County Sheriff’s Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man involved in a [Read More]