Former Markham Police Officer Charged in Criminal Sexual Abuse Case
Posted on June 3rd, 2016
A former Markham Police officer has been charged after a Sheriff’s Police investigation found he had sexually abused a teenage girl, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Relatives of the victim initially contacted the Markham Police Department on May 31 after they suspected sexual activity between the victim, who is now 16, and the 53-year-old defendant, Charles D. Smith, Sr. Because Smith is a former Markham Police Officer, the Markham Police Department requested that Sheriff’s Police investigate.
During their investigation, Sheriff’s Police detectives learned that from November 2015 to May 2016, Smith had multiple sexual contacts with the victim, who is now 16, at his residence in Markham.
Smith worked at the Markham Police Department from 2006 to 2010. He previously has worked as a police officer for the Robbins Police Department, and a fireman for the Robbins and Phoenix Fire departments.
Smith, of Markham, has been charged with the one count of aggravated criminal sexual abuse. His bond was set at $30,000 today at the Markham Courthouse.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Pair Charged with Attempt Murder in Unincorporated Oak Forest ShootingHa Zell Williams Dashaun Colbert Two 18-year-old men have been charged with attempt murder in [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Criminal Sexual Assault ChargesShannon Griffin A teacher at a Burbank private school has been charged with Criminal Sexual [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Conducting Traffic Safety Checkpoint in Leyden TownshipCook County Sheriff’s Police will conduct a roadside safety checkpoint in Leyden Township on the [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with UUW after Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic Weapons Delivered to ResidenceJaveon Burton Allen A 22-year-old Chicago man has been charged after a package containing switches [Read More]
- Driver Charged in Fatal Leyden Township Hit and RunA Chicago woman has been charged in a hit and run that killed a 37-year-old man, Cook County [Read More]