Ford Heights Man Charged with Attempted Murder of a Police Officer
Posted on August 14th, 2017
COOK COUNTY, IL – A 22-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder after an investigation found he shot at a Cook County Sheriff’s Police officer, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 1:05 p.m. on Aug. 13, a man, later identified as Deandre Barnes, fired multiple rounds at a Sheriff’s Police officer near the entrance of a residence in the 1400 block of Diplomat Lane in Ford Heights. The officer was responding to a domestic disturbance call at that location.
The officer did not return fire and was not injured. He was transported to an area hospital for a medical evaluation.
Barnes, who lived at the location, surrendered to police after officers made multiple commands for him to come out of the residence. Sheriff’s Police took him into custody without further incident. A handgun was recovered at the scene.
Barnes is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing today at the Markham Courthouse.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAt a time when jails and prison across the nation are still dealing with massive outbreaks of [Read More]
- 22 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersOfficers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issuedcitations to 22 men and [Read More]
- Four Juveniles Arrested on Warrants for Offenses Related to CarjackingThis week Cook County Sheriff’s Police located and arrested four juveniles on warrants related to [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]