Ford Heights Man Charged after Child Accidently Shoots another Child
Posted on June 6th, 2018
A gun owner has been charged after a 5-year-old boy was accidently shot by another child this week in Ford Heights, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 11:25 a.m. on June 4, Sheriff’s Police responded to the 1100 block of Drexel for a report of an accidental discharge. A 5-year-old boy was located with a gunshot wound. The child is being treated at Comer Children’s Hospital, where he remains in critical condition.
Sheriff’s Police detectives learned that the victim and two other boys had gone into the bedroom of gun owner Mikaehl Allen while he was not home and while the other adults in the house were asleep. One the boys, the victim’s 8-year-old brother, located a 9 mm Smith & Wesson pistol from under the mattress and accidently discharged the weapon at the victim.
In addition to the Smith & Wesson, Sheriff’s Police located an AK-47, a shot gun and AR-15 parts, under the mattress. The weapons were fully loaded.
The weapons are owned by Allen, 21, who had a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID) card. Following the Sheriff’s Police investigation, Allen, who is the boys’ uncle, was charged on June 5 with child endangerment, a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail, and allowing a minor access to a firearm, a Class C misdemeanor, punishable with a minimum $1,000 fine
Sheriff’s Police officers also located a male and female boxer-mix dogs at the residence that were emaciated and had wounds caused by insects. The dogs were taken to an area veterinarian for treatment. Investigators learned that Allen owned the dogs. He was charged with two counts of cruel treatment, a Class A misdemeanor, and two counts of violation of owner’s duties, a class B misdemeanor.
The defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution following Sheriff’s Police, Homeland Security InvestigationAn investigation by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit and U.S. Department of Homeland [Read More]
- Spectator Sign-Up Process for People vs. Van DykeMembers of the public who wish to observe the upcoming People vs. Van Dyke criminal trial will be [Read More]
- Blue Island Man Charged with Possession of Child PornographyA 45-year-old Blue Island man has been charged after an investigation found images of child [Read More]
- Man Found with a Loaded Gun Charged with Unlawful Use of a WeaponA Ford Heights man previously convicted of a felony, and who is also a registered sex offender, has [Read More]
- Traffic Stop Leads to Unlawful Use of a Weapon Charge against DriverAn Indiana man has been charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon after a stun gun was found [Read More]