Federal Judge Dismisses Backpage Lawsuit against Sheriff
Posted on June 1st, 2018
U.S. District Court Judge John J. Tharp Jr. ended three years of litigation by Backpage.com against the Cook County Sheriff’s Office after granting a motion to dismiss the case late Thursday.
The dismissal comes after Backpage.com was seized by federal authorities and its CEO pleaded guilty to money laundering and conspiracy to facilitate prostitution.
Backpage.com filed the suit after Sheriff Thomas J. Dart asked credit card companies to stop doing business with the website’s illegal sections, which were widely known as a hub for human trafficking. But even as Backpage.com attacked the Sheriff’s Office in court, federal authorities have alleged in a 93-count indictment that the company’s principals were knowingly working to facilitate prostitution through their website. And, locally, a 16-year-old girl being sold on Backpage.com in 2016 was killed in Markham.
Sheriff Dart also filed a motion against Backpage and its attorneys seeking sanctions against them for all fees and costs associated with the lawsuit. That motion remains pending.
For more than a decade, Sheriff Dart has been pushing for fellow law enforcement officers, lawmakers and the federal government to take seriously the sex trafficking occurring on sites like Backpage.com.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]
- Illinois Senate Passes Bill seeking to Deter Assaults, Public Indecency to Staff in Correctional SettingsA bill seeking to address assaults and public indecency against those working in correctional [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Police Conducting Enforcement Patrols Focused on Distracted DriversCook County Sheriff’s Police will be conducting enhanced patrols focusing on distracted drivers, [Read More]
- Man Charged with UUW after Fleeing with Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic WeaponsA 26-year-old Chicago man has been charged after he fled from investigators with a package [Read More]
- Bolingbrook Man Sentenced to Federal Prison for Child Pornography, Sex TraffickingA 46-year-old Bolingbrook man investigated by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police’s Child Exploitation [Read More]