Sworn Employment Opportunities
THE COOK COUNTY SHERIFF’S MERIT BOARD IS ACCEPTING APPLICATI0NS FOR THE POSITION OF CORRECTIONAL OFFICER. APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED THROUGH THE SHERIFF’S ON-LINE APPLICATION SYSTEM.
THE COOK COUNTY SHERIFF’S MERIT BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO TAKE CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS APPLICATIONS ON AN AS NEEDED BASIS. A NOTICE WILL BE POSTED ON THE SHERIFF’S OFFICE WEBSITE WHEN THE APPLICATION PROCESS IS SUSPENDED. INTERESTED APPLICANTS SHOULD CONTINUE TO CHECK THE SHERIFF’S OFFICE WEBSITE FOR APPLICATION AVAILABILITY.
Correctional Officers Application
ALL APPLICANTS MUST:
A) BE A UNITED STATES CITIZEN;
B) BE 21 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER ;
C) HAVE A VALID HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR G.E.D. ACCEPTABLE TO THE SHERIFF’S MERIT BOARD
D) OR 20 YEARS OF AGE WITH 60 (2) YEARS OF COLLEGE CREDIT HOURS IN GENERAL EDUCATION COURSEWORK OR AN ASSOCIATE DEGREEE FROM AN ACCREDITED COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY;
E) HAVE A VALID DRIVERS LICENSE ACCEPTABLE TO THE SHERIFF’S MERIT BOARD;
F) HAVE A VALID FIREARM OWNERS IDENTIFICATION CARD(FOID), OR BE ABLE TO OBTAIN A FOID CARD PRIOR TO CERTIFICATION;
Please be advised that the position of Correctional Officer is by definition a “peace officer” under Illinois law.
The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is committed to certification/hiring qualified candidates for the important position of Correctional Officer. Due to the significance of the sworn position, applicants must at all times be truthful in their application responses and during the entire certification/hiring process.
Failure to be truthful during the certification/employment process may disqualify an applicant. Truthfulness and candor in this application process is an important requirement towards becoming a Correctional Officer.
Applicants may be disqualified from consideration for certification/employment as a Correctional Officer if it is determined that the applicant:
- Was untruthful, deliberately omitted, concealed or falsified relevant facts during the certification/employment consideration process;
- Been convicted of a felony;
- Committed serious employment related crimes;
- Sold illegal drugs;
- Used illegal drugs within a specific period of time; OR
- Acquired extensive debt or evidence of extreme financial negligence.
- Applicants will be notified of the next step of the Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board process by email.
- Applicants will be notified of the written examination(s), test(s) and physical ability test by email. The physical ability test includes running one and one half (1& ½) miles in 16.52 minutes, completing twenty four (24) sit-ups in one (1) minute, and completing one (1) bench press equal to 52% of your total body weight.
- If you change your email address it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to change the email address in your on-line profile.
- All applicants certified by the Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board will be subject to additional testing by the Cook County Sheriff’s Office Bureau of Human Resources.
- The application posting period may end without notice, if your application has not been completed and submitted it will not be considered. If you do not complete your application immediately you can utilize the Cook County Sheriff’s Office website link that will be listed on your emailed payment receipt to return to your application.
- Please note: All future communication(s) from the Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board will be via email. It is your responsibility to ensure your email address is current and that you check your email, including “Spam” and “Junk” folders to ensure you do not miss any notifications. In addition to checking your personal email account, you may also check for notifications by logging in to the on-line application system, utilizing your login and password. Once you have logged in, click on “My Jobpage” and look for your Correctional Officer job submission. If any email notifications have been sent you will see a heading called “View email Messages”. Open it up to both view and print the email notification(s) sent to you.
- If you meet the requirements listed above, follow the link below to process your payment and proceed to the application process. Upon payment you will be emailed a receipt that contains a confirmation number. The payment confirmation number must be entered on the application under “Filing Fee Confirmation Number”.
Sheriff’s Merit Board
TELEPHONE: (312) 603-0170
FAX: (312) 603-9865
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]
- Illinois Senate Passes Bill seeking to Deter Assaults, Public Indecency to Staff in Correctional SettingsA bill seeking to address assaults and public indecency against those working in correctional [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Police Conducting Enforcement Patrols Focused on Distracted DriversCook County Sheriff’s Police will be conducting enhanced patrols focusing on distracted drivers, [Read More]
- Man Charged with UUW after Fleeing with Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic WeaponsA 26-year-old Chicago man has been charged after he fled from investigators with a package [Read More]
- Bolingbrook Man Sentenced to Federal Prison for Child Pornography, Sex TraffickingA 46-year-old Bolingbrook man investigated by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police’s Child Exploitation [Read More]