Sworn Employment Opportunities
THE COOK COUNTY SHERIFF’S MERIT BOARD IS ACCEPTING APPLICATI0NS FOR THE POSITION OF CORRECTIONAL OFFICER. APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED THROUGH THE SHERIFF’S ON-LINE APPLICATION SYSTEM.
THE COOK COUNTY SHERIFF’S MERIT BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO TAKE CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS APPLICATIONS ON AN AS NEEDED BASIS. A NOTICE WILL BE POSTED ON THE SHERIFF’S OFFICE WEBSITE WHEN THE APPLICATION PROCESS IS SUSPENDED. INTERESTED APPLICANTS SHOULD CONTINUE TO CHECK THE SHERIFF’S OFFICE WEBSITE FOR APPLICATION AVAILABILITY.
Correctional Officer Application
ALL APPLICANTS MUST:
A) BE A UNITED STATES CITIZEN;
B) BE 21 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER ;
C) HAVE A VALID HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR G.E.D. ACCEPTABLE TO THE SHERIFF’S MERIT BOARD
D) OR 20 YEARS OF AGE WITH 60 (2) YEARS OF COLLEGE CREDIT HOURS IN GENERAL EDUCATION COURSEWORK OR AN ASSOCIATE DEGREEE FROM AN ACCREDITED COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY;
E) HAVE A VALID DRIVERS LICENSE ACCEPTABLE TO THE SHERIFF’S MERIT BOARD;
F) HAVE A VALID FIREARM OWNERS IDENTIFICATION CARD(FOID), OR BE ABLE TO OBTAIN A FOID CARD PRIOR TO CERTIFICATION;
Please be advised that the position of Correctional Officer is by definition a “peace officer” under Illinois law.
The Cook County Sheriff’s Office is committed to certification/hiring qualified candidates for the important position of Correctional Officer. Due to the significance of the sworn position, applicants must at all times be truthful in their application responses and during the entire certification/hiring process.
Failure to be truthful during the certification/employment process may disqualify an applicant. Truthfulness and candor in this application process is an important requirement towards becoming a Correctional Officer.
Applicants may be disqualified from consideration for certification/employment as a Correctional Officer if it is determined that the applicant:
- Was untruthful, deliberately omitted, concealed or falsified relevant facts during the certification/employment consideration process;
- Been convicted of a felony;
- Committed serious employment related crimes;
- Sold illegal drugs;
- Used illegal drugs within a specific period of time; OR
- Acquired extensive debt or evidence of extreme financial negligence.
- Applicants will be notified of the next step of the Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board process by email.
- Applicants will be notified of the written examination(s), test(s) and physical ability test by email. The physical ability test includes running one and one half (1& ½) miles in 16.52 minutes, completing twenty four (24) sit-ups in one (1) minute, and completing one (1) bench press equal to 52% of your total body weight.
- If you change your email address it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to change the email address in your on-line profile.
- All applicants certified by the Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board will be subject to additional testing by the Cook County Sheriff’s Office Bureau of Human Resources.
- The application posting period may end without notice, if your application has not been completed and submitted it will not be considered. If you do not complete your application immediately you can utilize the Cook County Sheriff’s Office website link that will be listed on your emailed payment receipt to return to your application.
- Please note: All future communication(s) from the Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board will be via email. It is your responsibility to ensure your email address is current and that you check your email, including “Spam” and “Junk” folders to ensure you do not miss any notifications. In addition to checking your personal email account, you may also check for notifications by logging in to the on-line application system, utilizing your login and password. Once you have logged in, click on “My Jobpage” and look for your Correctional Officer job submission. If any email notifications have been sent you will see a heading called “View email Messages”. Open it up to both view and print the email notification(s) sent to you.
- If you meet the requirements listed above, follow the link below to process your payment and proceed to the application process. Upon payment you will be emailed a receipt that contains a confirmation number. The payment confirmation number must be entered on the application under “Filing Fee Confirmation Number”.
- Active United States Military & Military Veterans please send an email to Sheriff.MeritBoard@cookcountyil.gov with your attached DD214 to request a payment waiver.
Sheriff’s Merit Board
TELEPHONE: (312) 603-0170
FAX: (312) 603-9865
Recent Press Releases
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]
- Public’s Help Sought in Identifying Suspicious PersonCook County Sheriff’s Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man involved in a [Read More]