Office of Peer Support
Peer Support was created within the Cook County Sheriff’s Office in 2008 as an intervention program for officers dealing with both personal and professional crisis. The program began by training officers on how to help other officers that may be experiencing issues.
These peer members, once trained, were returned to their regular assignments and operated as a confidential source for other officers to utilize. Peer Support is currently working on training additional members throughout the Courts, DOC, and Police Departments.
The program has been very successful and was expanded in 2012 to include a neutral site for Sheriff’s employees to come for counseling and resources from Illinois licensed counselors who are also sworn Cook County Sheriff’s officers. This location at the Oak Forest Hospital Complex also offers the space to run professional alcohol and substance abuse meetings and programs for employees and their families.The Peer Support Program is a two-prong approach of trained peer members in the facilities, divisions and districts and professional counselors at an off-site location and is aimed at providing Sheriff’s Office employees the very best resources and services when need arises.
As part of a wellness initiative introduced by Sheriff Tom Dart, Peer Support is continually developing new programs to meet the needs of Sheriff’s Office employees.
Peer Support is located at:
Oak Forest Hospital Complex
15900 S. Cicero Avenue
Oak Forest, Illinois 60452
Main Number 708-633-2588
- Director Don Milazzo 708-633-2580
- Confidential Fax 708-633-2035
- Counseling Services
- Jennifer Speiden 708-633-2582
- Carol Allen 708-633-2585
- Substance Abuse Services
- Pete Cozzi 708-633-2586
- Chaplains Unit 708-633-2583
Recent Press Releases
- Awareness Resource Created for Front Lines of Opioid CrisisCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart released new episodes today of the podcast “Breaking Free” [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Warns of Ruse BurglariesCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning the public about ruse burglaries following an [Read More]
- Two Teens Charged in Fatal Palatine Township ShootingTwo teens have been charged in connection with the murder of man in unincorporated Palatine, Cook [Read More]
- Matteson Man Charged after Sheriff’s Police Recover Two Loaded FirearmsA Matteson man has been charged after Sheriff’s Police recovered two loaded firearms during a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 390 ArrestsCOOK COUNTY, IL – More than 390 individuals were arrested by two dozen police agencies across the [Read More]