Office of Peer Support
Peer Support was created within the Cook County Sheriff’s Office in 2008 as an intervention program for officers dealing with both personal and professional crisis. The program began by training officers on how to help other officers that may be experiencing issues.
These peer members, once trained, were returned to their regular assignments and operated as a confidential source for other officers to utilize. Peer Support is currently working on training additional members throughout the Courts, DOC, and Police Departments.
The program has been very successful and was expanded in 2012 to include a neutral site for Sheriff’s employees to come for counseling and resources from Illinois licensed counselors who are also sworn Cook County Sheriff’s officers. This location at the Oak Forest Hospital Complex also offers the space to run professional alcohol and substance abuse meetings and programs for employees and their families.The Peer Support Program is a two-prong approach of trained peer members in the facilities, divisions and districts and professional counselors at an off-site location and is aimed at providing Sheriff’s Office employees the very best resources and services when need arises.
As part of a wellness initiative introduced by Sheriff Tom Dart, Peer Support is continually developing new programs to meet the needs of Sheriff’s Office employees.
Peer Support is located at:
Oak Forest Hospital Complex
15900 S. Cicero Avenue
Oak Forest, Illinois 60452
Main Number 708-633-2588
- Director Don Milazzo 708-633-2580
- Confidential Fax 708-633-2035
- Counseling Services
- Jennifer Speiden 708-633-2582
- Carol Allen 708-633-2585
- Substance Abuse Services
- Pete Cozzi 708-633-2586
- Chaplains Unit 708-633-2583
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]
- Illinois Senate Passes Bill seeking to Deter Assaults, Public Indecency to Staff in Correctional SettingsA bill seeking to address assaults and public indecency against those working in correctional [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Police Conducting Enforcement Patrols Focused on Distracted DriversCook County Sheriff’s Police will be conducting enhanced patrols focusing on distracted drivers, [Read More]
- Man Charged with UUW after Fleeing with Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic WeaponsA 26-year-old Chicago man has been charged after he fled from investigators with a package [Read More]
- Bolingbrook Man Sentenced to Federal Prison for Child Pornography, Sex TraffickingA 46-year-old Bolingbrook man investigated by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police’s Child Exploitation [Read More]