Detainee Charged in Attack on Cook County Jail Staff
Posted on June 15th, 2018
A detainee has been charged after a Sheriff’s Office investigation found he attacked a Cook County Jail staff member, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 9:40 a.m. on Thursday in Division 9, the super-maximum security facility, detainee Peter Williams was speaking to a correctional lieutenant regarding a complaint of contraband being removed from his cell. After a two-minute discussion, Williams punched the lieutenant in the face in an unprovoked attack. The lieutenant suffered facial injuries and was transported to a local hospital.
A Cook County Grand Jury indicted Williams on Thursday on charges of aggravated battery to a peace officer, aggravated battery/great bodily harm and aggravated battery in a public place.
Williams, 45, has been in Sheriff’s Office custody for nearly four years awaiting trial on an attempted murder charge out of Harvey. His current case has had more than 40 continuances by agreement in the last 46 months.
During his time in custody, Williams has been involved in 20 fighting incidents, including one in which he plead guilty to an in-custody battery charge after he struck a fellow detainee in the head from behind.
The defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Cook County Sheriff Asks for Public’s Help in Adoption of Two Very Good DogsTwo dogs that recently completed the Sheriff’s Tails of Redemption program at the Cook County Jail, [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Seeks the Public’s Help Locating Missing Madden Mental Health Center PatientCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is asking for the public’s help locating a Madden Mental Health [Read More]
- Cook County Sheriff’s Police Seeking to Identify Individuals at the Scene of Robbins ShootingCook County Sheriff’s Police are seeking to identify individuals in these photographs as they may [Read More]
- Western Springs Man Charged with Disseminating Child PornographyA 72-year-old man has been charged after an investigation found that he sent explicit images of [Read More]
- Information Sought in Fatal Hit and RunCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is asking for the public’s help in identifying the driver of a [Read More]