Detainee Charged in Attack on Cook County Jail Staff
Posted on June 15th, 2018
A detainee has been charged after a Sheriff’s Office investigation found he attacked a Cook County Jail staff member, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 9:40 a.m. on Thursday in Division 9, the super-maximum security facility, detainee Peter Williams was speaking to a correctional lieutenant regarding a complaint of contraband being removed from his cell. After a two-minute discussion, Williams punched the lieutenant in the face in an unprovoked attack. The lieutenant suffered facial injuries and was transported to a local hospital.
A Cook County Grand Jury indicted Williams on Thursday on charges of aggravated battery to a peace officer, aggravated battery/great bodily harm and aggravated battery in a public place.
Williams, 45, has been in Sheriff’s Office custody for nearly four years awaiting trial on an attempted murder charge out of Harvey. His current case has had more than 40 continuances by agreement in the last 46 months.
During his time in custody, Williams has been involved in 20 fighting incidents, including one in which he plead guilty to an in-custody battery charge after he struck a fellow detainee in the head from behind.
The defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Two Charged after Loaded Gun, Suspected Heroin Found During Court-Ordered EvictionTwo people have been charged with multiple felonies after a loaded firearm and [Read More]
- Electronically Monitored Defendant who Leapt to His Escape ApprehendedCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today that an electronically monitored defendant who [Read More]
- Electronically Monitored Defendant Jumps from Balcony, FleesThe Cook County Sheriff’s Office is seeking the public’s help in locating a 23-year-old man who was [Read More]
- Sheriff Launches Program to Address Opioid CrisisCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today the launch of the Sheriff’s Opioid Addiction [Read More]
- Ford Heights Man Charged after Child Accidently Shoots another ChildA gun owner has been charged after a 5-year-old boy was accidently shot by another child this week [Read More]