Detainee Charged in Attack on Cook County Jail Staff
Posted on June 15th, 2018
A detainee has been charged after a Sheriff’s Office investigation found he attacked a Cook County Jail staff member, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 9:40 a.m. on Thursday in Division 9, the super-maximum security facility, detainee Peter Williams was speaking to a correctional lieutenant regarding a complaint of contraband being removed from his cell. After a two-minute discussion, Williams punched the lieutenant in the face in an unprovoked attack. The lieutenant suffered facial injuries and was transported to a local hospital.
A Cook County Grand Jury indicted Williams on Thursday on charges of aggravated battery to a peace officer, aggravated battery/great bodily harm and aggravated battery in a public place.
Williams, 45, has been in Sheriff’s Office custody for nearly four years awaiting trial on an attempted murder charge out of Harvey. His current case has had more than 40 continuances by agreement in the last 46 months.
During his time in custody, Williams has been involved in 20 fighting incidents, including one in which he plead guilty to an in-custody battery charge after he struck a fellow detainee in the head from behind.
The defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Warns of Phone Scam Involving Apple Inc.Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart is warning of a sophisticated phone scam targeting Cook County [Read More]
- Sheriff Dart Proposes Reforms to Close Deadly Gun Regulation LoopholesTo ensure the public is better protected from those who lose their right to carry deadly weapons, [Read More]
- Man Charged with UUW after Firearms, Ammunition Found in ApartmentA Leyden Township man has been charged with multiple felonies after firearms, ammunition and [Read More]
- Pair Charged with UUW after Firearms, Ammunition FoundTwo men have been charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon after firearms and ammunition [Read More]
- Awareness Resource Created for Front Lines of Opioid CrisisCook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart released new episodes today of the podcast “Breaking Free” [Read More]