Detainee Charged in Attack on Cook County Jail Staff
Posted on June 15th, 2018
A detainee has been charged after a Sheriff’s Office investigation found he attacked a Cook County Jail staff member, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 9:40 a.m. on Thursday in Division 9, the super-maximum security facility, detainee Peter Williams was speaking to a correctional lieutenant regarding a complaint of contraband being removed from his cell. After a two-minute discussion, Williams punched the lieutenant in the face in an unprovoked attack. The lieutenant suffered facial injuries and was transported to a local hospital.
A Cook County Grand Jury indicted Williams on Thursday on charges of aggravated battery to a peace officer, aggravated battery/great bodily harm and aggravated battery in a public place.
Williams, 45, has been in Sheriff’s Office custody for nearly four years awaiting trial on an attempted murder charge out of Harvey. His current case has had more than 40 continuances by agreement in the last 46 months.
During his time in custody, Williams has been involved in 20 fighting incidents, including one in which he plead guilty to an in-custody battery charge after he struck a fellow detainee in the head from behind.
The defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution following Sheriff’s Police, Homeland Security InvestigationAn investigation by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit and U.S. Department of Homeland [Read More]
- Spectator Sign-Up Process for People vs. Van DykeMembers of the public who wish to observe the upcoming People vs. Van Dyke criminal trial will be [Read More]
- Blue Island Man Charged with Possession of Child PornographyA 45-year-old Blue Island man has been charged after an investigation found images of child [Read More]
- Man Found with a Loaded Gun Charged with Unlawful Use of a WeaponA Ford Heights man previously convicted of a felony, and who is also a registered sex offender, has [Read More]
- Traffic Stop Leads to Unlawful Use of a Weapon Charge against DriverAn Indiana man has been charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon after a stun gun was found [Read More]