Detainee Charged in Attack on Cook County Jail Staff
Posted on June 15th, 2018
A detainee has been charged after a Sheriff’s Office investigation found he attacked a Cook County Jail staff member, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 9:40 a.m. on Thursday in Division 9, the super-maximum security facility, detainee Peter Williams was speaking to a correctional lieutenant regarding a complaint of contraband being removed from his cell. After a two-minute discussion, Williams punched the lieutenant in the face in an unprovoked attack. The lieutenant suffered facial injuries and was transported to a local hospital.
A Cook County Grand Jury indicted Williams on Thursday on charges of aggravated battery to a peace officer, aggravated battery/great bodily harm and aggravated battery in a public place.
Williams, 45, has been in Sheriff’s Office custody for nearly four years awaiting trial on an attempted murder charge out of Harvey. His current case has had more than 40 continuances by agreement in the last 46 months.
During his time in custody, Williams has been involved in 20 fighting incidents, including one in which he plead guilty to an in-custody battery charge after he struck a fellow detainee in the head from behind.
The defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- 25 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersCOOK COUNTY, IL – Officers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issued [Read More]
- Man Charged with Illegally Transferring FirearmCOOK COUNTY, IL – A 22-year-old Midlothian man has been charged after a Sheriff’s Police [Read More]
- Man Charged with Aggravated Battery to a Sheriff’s Police OfficerCOOK COUNTY, IL – A 35-year-old man has been charged with multiple felonies after a Cook County [Read More]
- Man Charged with Attempted Murder in Ford Heights ShootingCOOK COUNTY, IL – A 35-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder after an investigation [Read More]
- Woman Charged with Stabbing Woman, Sheriff’s Police OfficerCOOK COUNTY, IL – A 42-year-old woman has been charged with aggravated battery after a Cook County [Read More]