Detainee Charged Again with Battering Correctional Deputy
Posted on August 12th, 2016
A maximum security detainee has been charged again with aggravated battery to staff after a Sheriff’s Office investigation found that the detainee threw feces at a correctional deputy for the second time within a week, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
According to the investigation at approximately 7:10 p.m. on Aug. 6 detainee Vermon Patterson threw feces at a deputy in the showering area of the Division 9 housing tier that is overseen by the Jail’s Emergency Response Team as well as correctional deputies.
Patterson was placed in this housing unit after a battery to staff the week before, in which investigators found he threw feces at and punched another correctional deputy. Patterson was charged with two counts of aggravated battery to a peace officer in connection with the Aug. 2 incident.
His bond was set at 50, 000 dollars after a hearing today at the George N. Leighton Criminal Court Building for the additional charge of aggravated battery to a peace officer.
Patterson, 26, has been in the jail since December 2015 on a charge of home invasion with a firearm.
If convicted of aggravated battery to a peace officer, Patterson will lose pretrial custody credit for his time spent at the Cook County Department of Corrections in addition to any sentence imposed in his previous cases.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Recent Press Releases
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAt a time when jails and prison across the nation are still dealing with massive outbreaks of [Read More]
- 22 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersOfficers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issuedcitations to 22 men and [Read More]
- Four Juveniles Arrested on Warrants for Offenses Related to CarjackingThis week Cook County Sheriff’s Police located and arrested four juveniles on warrants related to [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]