Court-Ordered Evictions, Sheriff’s Work Alternative Program Suspended Due to COVID-19 Precautions
Posted on March 14th, 2020
The Cook County Sheriff’s Office has suspended all court-ordered evictions for the next 30 days, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
Prior to the order, Sheriff’s Department staff screened all individuals for symptoms of COVID-19 at residences where evictions were being executed. Earlier this week, Sheriff’s Deputies encountered an individual during an eviction who showed symptoms of the virus. Deputies immediately called for emergency medical services to transport the man to a local hospital for evaluation. The eviction was subsequently cancelled.
Additionally, the Sheriff’s Office is suspending the Sheriff’s Work Alternative Program (SWAP) for 30 days in response to the Chief Judge’s order. Before the order was issued, SWAP participants were being carefully screened by staff for any symptoms of the virus.
The Sheriff’s Office is working closely with health and public safety stakeholders to quickly respond to the evolving nature of the pandemic, and additional precautions will be implemented as needed. The health and safety of our staff and the public continue to be the top priority of the Sheriff’s Office.
Recent Press Releases
- Manager Charged In Connection With Ongoing Criminal Investigation of Sexual Harassment at Edward Hines, Jr. VA HospitalCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police detectives are conducting an ongoing investigation [Read More]
- In-Person Visitation to Resume Sunday, March 14, at Cook County JailCOOK COUNTY, IL – In-person visitation at the Cook County Jail is scheduled to resume on Sunday, [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution Following Sheriff’s Police StingCOOK COUNTY, IL – A Chicago man has been charged with promoting prostitution after Cook County [Read More]
- La Grange Park Man Charged with Aggravated Vehicular HijackingCOOK COUNTY, IL – Cook County Sheriff’s Police arrested a 20-year-old La Grange Park man after he [Read More]
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAt a time when jails and prison across the nation are still dealing with massive outbreaks of [Read More]