Cook County Sheriff’s Police Officer Saves Woman’s Life with Naloxone
Posted on April 24th, 2018
A woman is alive after a Cook County Sheriff’s Police officer equipped with naloxone used the opioid overdose antidote to revive her, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
At approximately 8:05 a.m. on Monday, the officer responded to a call of suspicious circumstances at a hotel room in the 1900 block of East Higgins Road in unincorporated Elk Grove Township. The officer did not receive a response after knocking on the door, which was ajar. Upon entering the room, he found a woman unresponsive and a syringe nearby. He administered the naloxone he had with him, and the 28-year-old Rockford woman woke up about a minute later. Elk Grove Township Fire Department paramedics transported her to an area hospital for further treatment.
This is the first time a Cook County Sheriff’s Police officer had administered the drug since the department began carrying the kits in June 2016.
In addition to Sheriff’s Police carrying naloxone, the Cook County Sheriff’s Office and Cermak Health Services – a division of the Cook County Health and Hospitals System – have a naloxone distribution program at Cook County Jail, in which kits are given to previously identified detainees upon their release from custody. The goal of the program is to prevent overdose deaths of detainees vulnerable to use upon returning to the community, so they can seek treatment.
Since the program’s launch on Aug. 1, 2016, more than 2,900 detainees have been trained on how to use the kits, and Cook County Jail staff have distributed more than 1,700 kits to detainees leaving the jail.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to curb the rampant and [Read More]
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]