Cook County Sheriff’s Police Announce Presence in Chicago’s Far South Side 9th Ward
Posted on June 22nd, 2017
Chicago’s 9th Ward and 5th Police District, which include the far south side neighborhoods of Roseland and Pullman, will receive extended patrols and crime suppression activities to enhance public safety and continue to reduce crime significantly, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart and 9th Ward Alderman Anthony Beale announced today.
Approximately 55 to 60 Sheriff’s police and staff will supplement the work and efforts of the Chicago Police Department and other law enforcement agencies in Roseland, and in Pullman where violent crime has declined 50% since 2010 (Chicago Tribune).
The collaborative effort is a result of Sheriff Dart and Alderman Beale agreeing to fold the 9th Ward into the Sheriff’s Chicago Initiatives, which have helped with patrolling, preventing crime and assisting in criminal investigations in Chicago for the past three years. The services being extended to the 9th ward include:
- Patrol units
- Crime suppression tactical teams
- Special operations
- Community policing activities
- Fugitive warrants
- Electronic Monitoring
- Sheriff’s Work Alternative Program (SWAP)
Ultimately, the initiatives seek to deter criminal activity, protect lives, and apprehend violators while enforcing laws to suppress drug activity, theft, burglaries and gang-related crimes.
“While crime in our community has declined substantially, I believe we can do more to create a safer, healthier environment for our residents and visitors. That’s why I encouraged the law enforcement partnership between the Chicago Police Department and the Sheriff’s Office. Improving my ward’s quality of life is my number one priority,” said Ald. Beale.
Recent Press Releases
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAt a time when jails and prison across the nation are still dealing with massive outbreaks of [Read More]
- 22 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersOfficers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issuedcitations to 22 men and [Read More]
- Four Juveniles Arrested on Warrants for Offenses Related to CarjackingThis week Cook County Sheriff’s Police located and arrested four juveniles on warrants related to [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]