Cook County Sheriff’s Police Announce Presence in Chicago’s Far South Side 9th Ward
Posted on June 22nd, 2017
Chicago’s 9th Ward and 5th Police District, which include the far south side neighborhoods of Roseland and Pullman, will receive extended patrols and crime suppression activities to enhance public safety and continue to reduce crime significantly, Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart and 9th Ward Alderman Anthony Beale announced today.
Approximately 55 to 60 Sheriff’s police and staff will supplement the work and efforts of the Chicago Police Department and other law enforcement agencies in Roseland, and in Pullman where violent crime has declined 50% since 2010 (Chicago Tribune).
The collaborative effort is a result of Sheriff Dart and Alderman Beale agreeing to fold the 9th Ward into the Sheriff’s Chicago Initiatives, which have helped with patrolling, preventing crime and assisting in criminal investigations in Chicago for the past three years. The services being extended to the 9th ward include:
- Patrol units
- Crime suppression tactical teams
- Special operations
- Community policing activities
- Fugitive warrants
- Electronic Monitoring
- Sheriff’s Work Alternative Program (SWAP)
Ultimately, the initiatives seek to deter criminal activity, protect lives, and apprehend violators while enforcing laws to suppress drug activity, theft, burglaries and gang-related crimes.
“While crime in our community has declined substantially, I believe we can do more to create a safer, healthier environment for our residents and visitors. That’s why I encouraged the law enforcement partnership between the Chicago Police Department and the Sheriff’s Office. Improving my ward’s quality of life is my number one priority,” said Ald. Beale.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Program to Help At-Risk MissingThe Cook County Sheriff’s Office is making free scent kits and training available to the public to [Read More]
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to curb the rampant and [Read More]
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]