Cook County Sheriff’s Police Administer Naloxone to Save a Chicago Man
Posted on December 12th, 2020
The quick and compassionate work of Cook County Sheriff’s Police reversed a deadly overdose in Chicago on Friday morning, announced Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart today.
At approximately 9:40 a.m., Sheriff’s Police officers were on patrol in Chicago’s 15th district on the city’s West Side when a concerned citizen flagged them down in the area of 4900 West Superior Street. The officers discovered a man who appeared to be in his 50s unresponsive on the ground suffering from what appeared to be an opioid overdose.
While calling for an ambulance, an officer administered two doses of naloxone, a drug that can reverse an overdose, via nasal spray. The man regained consciousness and became responsive. The Chicago Fire Department then transported the man to West Suburban Hospital for further medical evaluation.
The Office’s Treatment Response Team, which helps those battling opioid addiction, are working to follow up with the individual to provide assistance in securing addiction treatment.
Hundreds of Sheriff’s Police and other Sheriff’s Office personnel carry the lifesaving drug naloxone to reduce opioid overdoses, which are on track to kill as many as 2,000 people in Cook County this year. Thanks to the program, Office personnel have been involved in the reversal of 86 overdoses and referred almost 200 clients to the Treatment Response Team so far this year.
Recent Press Releases
- Chicago Woman Charged with First Degree Murder Following a March Shooting in Unincorporated Proviso TownshipCOOK COUNTY, IL –A Chicago woman who allegedly shot and killed a 28-year-old man in an incident [Read More]
- Des Plaines Man Charged with Attempt Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse of a Minor and Possession of Child PornographyCOOK COUNTY, IL – A 69-year-old Des Plaines man has been charged with multiple felonies after he [Read More]
- Crestwood Man Charged with Possession of Child PornographyCOOK COUNTY, IL – An 18-year-old Crestwood man has been charged with possession of child [Read More]
- 21 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersCOOK COUNTY, IL – Officers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issued [Read More]
- Oak Lawn Man Charged in Death of Hometown Police LieutenantCOOK COUNTY, IL – An Oak Lawn man who allegedly struck and killed a Hometown Police Lieutenant [Read More]