Cook County Sheriff’s Police Administer Naloxone to Save a Chicago Man
Posted on December 12th, 2020
The quick and compassionate work of Cook County Sheriff’s Police reversed a deadly overdose in Chicago on Friday morning, announced Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart today.
At approximately 9:40 a.m., Sheriff’s Police officers were on patrol in Chicago’s 15th district on the city’s West Side when a concerned citizen flagged them down in the area of 4900 West Superior Street. The officers discovered a man who appeared to be in his 50s unresponsive on the ground suffering from what appeared to be an opioid overdose.
While calling for an ambulance, an officer administered two doses of naloxone, a drug that can reverse an overdose, via nasal spray. The man regained consciousness and became responsive. The Chicago Fire Department then transported the man to West Suburban Hospital for further medical evaluation.
The Office’s Treatment Response Team, which helps those battling opioid addiction, are working to follow up with the individual to provide assistance in securing addiction treatment.
Hundreds of Sheriff’s Police and other Sheriff’s Office personnel carry the lifesaving drug naloxone to reduce opioid overdoses, which are on track to kill as many as 2,000 people in Cook County this year. Thanks to the program, Office personnel have been involved in the reversal of 86 overdoses and referred almost 200 clients to the Treatment Response Team so far this year.
Recent Press Releases
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]
- Missing Teen Recovered by Cook County Sheriff’s Police, Man Charged with TraffickingA 37-year-old man faces felony charges after he allegedly sex trafficked a missing 14-year-old [Read More]
- Michigan Woman Charged With 2003 Murder of Her Newborn Twin SonsAn extensive Sheriff’s Police cold case investigation has led to murder charges against a Michigan [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Police K9 “Lula Belle” Finds Missing Person in StegerA Willow Springs man who was reported missing was safely located by Sheriff’s Police K9 Lula Belle [Read More]