Cook County Sheriff Launches Discrimination Hotline
Posted on December 1st, 2016
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart today announced that his office has launched a reporting hotline for discrimination and hate crime incidents – (773) 674-HELP(4357) – for anyone who feels they are being threatened or targeted as a result of their religion, race, nationality and/or sexual orientation.
Those who call the 24/7 hotline will receive a direct response to their incidents by Sheriff’s Office staff, who will help connect callers to other agencies, Sheriff’s detectives, or legal assistance if the matter would be best addressed by external resources.
“With the F.B.I. reporting spikes in hate crimes nationwide, this will act as a pro-active resource,” Dart said. “Hate crimes should not be dismissed as a fleeting issue or only a problem outside of Cook County. Any act of discrimination or targeted intimidation within my jurisdiction will be met by the full extent of the law.”
The impetus for a dedicated hotline to report for discrimination or hate crime issues came after Sheriff Dart heard directly about a sense of increasing fear and intimidation in the county’s minority communities, especially the Muslim American community.
“The Chicago area has always drawn its greatest strength from the hard work and dedication of religious and immigrant groups. To protect the real strength of our community – diversity — we must stand up for these good people.” Dart said.
Sheriff Dart reminds the public that those in immediate danger should call 9-1-1.
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Dart Reminds Public of National Prescription Take Back Day, Launches new Webpage with Helpful ResourcesThis Saturday, April 27, Cook County residents can help protect the environment and fight the [Read More]
- Illinois Senate Passes Bill seeking to Deter Assaults, Public Indecency to Staff in Correctional SettingsA bill seeking to address assaults and public indecency against those working in correctional [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Police Conducting Enforcement Patrols Focused on Distracted DriversCook County Sheriff’s Police will be conducting enhanced patrols focusing on distracted drivers, [Read More]
- Man Charged with UUW after Fleeing with Switches that Convert Handguns to Fully Automatic WeaponsA 26-year-old Chicago man has been charged after he fled from investigators with a package [Read More]
- Bolingbrook Man Sentenced to Federal Prison for Child Pornography, Sex TraffickingA 46-year-old Bolingbrook man investigated by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police’s Child Exploitation [Read More]