Cook County Officials Urge the Creation of a gun Violence Coordinator
Posted on October 27th, 2015
Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart has joined several local officials in urging the creation of a gun violence coordinator and a task force to address gun violence.
A proposed Cook County ordinance would create a Cook County Gun Violence Coordinator who would head a 15-member taskforce. Members of this taskforce would be appointed by the Sheriff of Cook County, the Board of County Commissioners, the Cook County State’s Attorney, the Mayor of Chicago and the Governor of Illinois, among others.
Commissioner Richard Boykin, who is sponsoring the ordinance, along with State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez, Congressman Danny Davis and Lake County, Ind., Sheriff John Buncich spoke with community members at a forum on Monday at the Sheriff’s Police Headquarters in Maywood .They discussed the need for policies to reduce gun violence and address the impacts these shootings have on the community.
The role of the coordinator and the task force would be to hold public hearings, and from the information gathered at those hearings, create written recommendations designed to reduce gun violence in Cook County.
Recent Press Releases
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]
- Public’s Help Sought in Identifying Suspicious PersonCook County Sheriff’s Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man involved in a [Read More]