Cook County Jail Detainee Indicted on Charge of Attempting to Bring Cannabis into a Penal Institution
Posted on April 17th, 2018
A Cook County Jail detainee has been indicted after a Sheriff’s Office investigation identified him as the second person involved in a January incident where marijuana was left at an inmate-only bathroom at Stroger hospital, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
On Jan. 30, Cook County correctional officers found approximately 6 grams of suspected marijuana in the hospital’s the inmate-only bathroom. With the assistance of Stroger Hospital Police, Sheriff’s Office investigators identified 27-year-old David Fuller, who is on parole following an aggravated battery conviction, as the person who had placed the package under the bathroom doorway. Fuller, of the 1900 block of South Drake Avenue in Chicago, was charged last month with attempting to bring cannabis into a penal institution. He was released on bond.
Investigators learned that Fuller left the marijuana package for inmate Odell Calvin, who was at the hospital for an appointment, so Calvin could bring the contraband into the jail.
A Cook County Grand Jury today indicted Calvin on the charge of attempting to bring cannabis into a penal institution.
Calvin, 36, has been in custody since 2015. He was originally booked into the jail on multiple charges including aggravated vehicular hijacking, armed robbery, armed habitual criminal and unlawful use of a weapon.
The defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Video of the incident may be found here: https://vimeo.com/261323004/e20bd27335
Recent Press Releases
- Four Detainees Indicted in Connection with Robbery of another DetaineeFour detainees have been indicted on multiple felony charges in connection with a robbery of [Read More]
- Bill seeking to Reduce In-Custody Childbirths Passes Illinois General AssemblyA groundbreaking bill seeking to reduce the number of children born in custody to pre-trial [Read More]
- Cook County Jail Detainee Indicted on Charge of Aggravated AssaultA Cook County Jail detainee was indicted this week on a charge of aggravated assault against a [Read More]
- Cook County Sheriff’s Police Save Second Person’s Life with NaloxoneCOOK COUNTY, IL – A Skokie man found unresponsive Wednesday morning in a courthouse bathroom was [Read More]
- Bill Seeking Heavy Sanctions for Indecent Exposure by Cook County Jail Detainees Passes Illinois Senate CommitteeA bill seeking to enact harsher penalties on detainees who expose themselves and conduct lewd [Read More]