Cook County Jail Detainee Indicted on Charge of Attempting to Bring Cannabis into a Penal Institution
Posted on April 17th, 2018
A Cook County Jail detainee has been indicted after a Sheriff’s Office investigation identified him as the second person involved in a January incident where marijuana was left at an inmate-only bathroom at Stroger hospital, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
On Jan. 30, Cook County correctional officers found approximately 6 grams of suspected marijuana in the hospital’s the inmate-only bathroom. With the assistance of Stroger Hospital Police, Sheriff’s Office investigators identified 27-year-old David Fuller, who is on parole following an aggravated battery conviction, as the person who had placed the package under the bathroom doorway. Fuller, of the 1900 block of South Drake Avenue in Chicago, was charged last month with attempting to bring cannabis into a penal institution. He was released on bond.
Investigators learned that Fuller left the marijuana package for inmate Odell Calvin, who was at the hospital for an appointment, so Calvin could bring the contraband into the jail.
A Cook County Grand Jury today indicted Calvin on the charge of attempting to bring cannabis into a penal institution.
Calvin, 36, has been in custody since 2015. He was originally booked into the jail on multiple charges including aggravated vehicular hijacking, armed robbery, armed habitual criminal and unlawful use of a weapon.
The defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Video of the incident may be found here: https://vimeo.com/261323004/e20bd27335
Recent Press Releases
- Two Men Charged After Being Found with Stolen VehicleTwo men have been charged after a traffic stop revealed they were in possession of a stolen [Read More]
- Man Charged with First Degree Murder in Robbins KillingA 60-year-old Blue Island man has been charged with first degree murder in the shooting death of a [Read More]
- Man Charged with Promoting Prostitution following Sheriff’s Police, Homeland Security InvestigationAn investigation by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Vice Unit and U.S. Department of Homeland [Read More]
- Spectator Sign-Up Process for People vs. Van DykeMembers of the public who wish to observe the upcoming People vs. Van Dyke criminal trial will be [Read More]
- Blue Island Man Charged with Possession of Child PornographyA 45-year-old Blue Island man has been charged after an investigation found images of child [Read More]