Cook County Jail Detainee Indicted on Charge of Attempting to Bring Cannabis into a Penal Institution
Posted on April 17th, 2018
A Cook County Jail detainee has been indicted after a Sheriff’s Office investigation identified him as the second person involved in a January incident where marijuana was left at an inmate-only bathroom at Stroger hospital, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
On Jan. 30, Cook County correctional officers found approximately 6 grams of suspected marijuana in the hospital’s the inmate-only bathroom. With the assistance of Stroger Hospital Police, Sheriff’s Office investigators identified 27-year-old David Fuller, who is on parole following an aggravated battery conviction, as the person who had placed the package under the bathroom doorway. Fuller, of the 1900 block of South Drake Avenue in Chicago, was charged last month with attempting to bring cannabis into a penal institution. He was released on bond.
Investigators learned that Fuller left the marijuana package for inmate Odell Calvin, who was at the hospital for an appointment, so Calvin could bring the contraband into the jail.
A Cook County Grand Jury today indicted Calvin on the charge of attempting to bring cannabis into a penal institution.
Calvin, 36, has been in custody since 2015. He was originally booked into the jail on multiple charges including aggravated vehicular hijacking, armed robbery, armed habitual criminal and unlawful use of a weapon.
The defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Video of the incident may be found here: https://vimeo.com/261323004/e20bd27335
Recent Press Releases
- Update on COVID-19 Cases at Cook County JailAt a time when jails and prison across the nation are still dealing with massive outbreaks of [Read More]
- 22 Men Arrested in Cook County Sheriff’s Police “John” Sting Targeting Sex BuyersOfficers from the Cook County Sheriff’s Police Special Victims Unit issuedcitations to 22 men and [Read More]
- Four Juveniles Arrested on Warrants for Offenses Related to CarjackingThis week Cook County Sheriff’s Police located and arrested four juveniles on warrants related to [Read More]
- Chicago Man Charged with Attempted Aggravated Criminal Sexual AbuseA 34-year-old Chicago man has been charged with multiple felonies after he solicited an undercover [Read More]
- Two More Men Charged with Trafficking in Connection with Missing Teen Recovered in DecemberHoney Myles-Baker Nealy Two Chicago men each face felony charges after allegedly sex trafficking a [Read More]