Cook County Jail Detainee Indicted on Charge of Attempting to Bring Cannabis into a Penal Institution
Posted on April 17th, 2018
A Cook County Jail detainee has been indicted after a Sheriff’s Office investigation identified him as the second person involved in a January incident where marijuana was left at an inmate-only bathroom at Stroger hospital, Sheriff Thomas J. Dart announced today.
On Jan. 30, Cook County correctional officers found approximately 6 grams of suspected marijuana in the hospital’s the inmate-only bathroom. With the assistance of Stroger Hospital Police, Sheriff’s Office investigators identified 27-year-old David Fuller, who is on parole following an aggravated battery conviction, as the person who had placed the package under the bathroom doorway. Fuller, of the 1900 block of South Drake Avenue in Chicago, was charged last month with attempting to bring cannabis into a penal institution. He was released on bond.
Investigators learned that Fuller left the marijuana package for inmate Odell Calvin, who was at the hospital for an appointment, so Calvin could bring the contraband into the jail.
A Cook County Grand Jury today indicted Calvin on the charge of attempting to bring cannabis into a penal institution.
Calvin, 36, has been in custody since 2015. He was originally booked into the jail on multiple charges including aggravated vehicular hijacking, armed robbery, armed habitual criminal and unlawful use of a weapon.
The defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty by the government in a court of law.
Video of the incident may be found here: https://vimeo.com/261323004/e20bd27335
Recent Press Releases
- Sheriff Announces Operation Deadly DistractionsCook County Sheriff’s Police have launched “Operation Deadly Distractions” to curb the rampant and [Read More]
- Historic International Detainee Chess Tournament HeldDetainees in seven countries spanning multiple continents participated in a historic chess [Read More]
- Robbins Man Charged with Attempted Murder for Shooting Outside BarA Robbins man has been charged in connection with a shooting that injured a two people outside a [Read More]
- National Sex Buyer Sting Nets More Than 500 ArrestsFrom California to New York to Alabama, more than two dozen police agencies partnered in a [Read More]
- Sheriff’s Office Launches E-File Service for Civil Process RequestsIndividuals requesting the Cook County Sheriff’s Office serve civil court documents have a new, [Read More]